PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I haven’t tried the lighter you posted, but for about $5 (when they are on sale) this lighter has been better than I expected.
4F95271C-9D13-492C-8791-84818620ADEB.jpeg

Sometimes they have a different logo or brand name on them, I don’t know who actually makes them.

It does take more effort than most lighters for ignition. If you have arthritis or hand issues it might not be a good choice.

My only complaint is that when it gets close to empty it starts to throw out a larger flame. Not a real big deal, I still bought another one when I saw them on sale again. About three months in with daily use and many refills and I have to say it’s a decent cheap lighter.

I don’t expect it to last forever, but I don’t mind leaving the house with it. If it gets lost or broken, I’m only out a fiver. Has a small removable tamper/tool built in.

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I have several zippos and agree that you can’t beat the reliability and price of them. My wife hates the smell of them when you light them and it does seem to temporarily affect my taste but is probably more due to the effect on my olfactory system. I do still use them outside. I have several of the cheap Amazon lighters but between filling issues and lighting issues most end up in the trash quickly. I do have a cheap IMCO butane pipe lighter and this so far seems to be the best cheaper option. I probably should just pick up a few to keep in each vehicle. Djeeps are also nice but I like the angle on a pipe lighter. I still love my Old Boy as my end table lighter.

Reactions: Ryan

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Cant edit...No...the ones I have are similiar but branded as Sidekick. comparing them they are similiar but not the same item.

I belive in cheap lighters. Im too bad about leaving things laying around to spend real money on a lighter. Even if they stay home 99.5 percent of the time I prefer to have several so I can just grab one. Back in 2009 which was my first go around with pipes I had an old boy clone. I cant remember the brand. It had a good warranty but I had to keep sending it back because the fuel holder would spring a leak. So I stick with something like you are looking at. On my pipes with less delecate tops I like a 3 burner torch after my char light. Just BAM! and its lit. But if you hesitate you can burn your pipe. Then you get to have fun retopping it.

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
The side kicks I use refil easy. They take the default nozzel. Push, count to about 4. Light it up.

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I like Bic EZ reach, pretty handy to reach the bottom of the bowl. They are pretty much my go-to for a butane lighter, use-em-up then throw-away. No longer using refillable butane, just too fiddly.
I tried the EZ reach but for me the flame was too big and there’s no way to adjust it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've tried them all and have a dozen different "high end" lighters. So, what do I use? I buy disposable lighters at the dollar stores at 3 for a buck. puffy

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I prefer a Zippo (w/ pipe insert) if I'm using something other than matches. It's my go to lighter, and as others have previously mentioned... it's affordable as well as iconic. For the money, I don't think it gets better.

I do keep a couple of these lying around, especially in the truck and tractor. 2pk is less than $4 USD.
1704751249828.png

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
If you have a zippo (or any other lighter that you can add flint to) start picking up dead bics (or keeping your).
Bic puts a big enough flint in each lighter that once it dies, there’s still a long enough flint in there you’ll have to clip it into thirds to not jam a zippo up.
Just turn striker wheel with needle nose while maintaining downward pressure and lift gently once wheel breaks free of mount.
I haven’t bought flints for decades doing this.