PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ajmiller1990

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
Hey all! I am looking for some help to identify my new Meerschaum that I recently acquired from an antique shop. My wife found it for $70. It’s an Andreas Bauer block Meerschaum. It also appears to have all of the original tags from the sale still attached to the case, though I’m not 100% they are genuine (though they appear to be). It has not been smoked.

I’m curious as to what the value of this pipe is. I’m pretty confident it was a steal at $70, but I’m not 100%. I’m also trying to figure out how to identify it. I think it’s after the 1950s because of the stem and tenon connection, but even that I’m not positive.

Just looking for some general guidance or thoughts on it. It’s my first Meerschaum, so I am by no means an expert. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7409.jpeg
    IMG_7409.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7410.jpeg
    IMG_7410.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7411.jpeg
    IMG_7411.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 31

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
An unsmoked Andreas Bauer for $70? You absolutely stole it.
I don’t know what this one would bring, but north of $200 for sure. I’ve seen unsmoked Bauers for $500 and more, but I don’t know enough about the specifics of the market for this marque to say where this one sits.
I do enjoy smoking mine from time to time.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Sablebrush said it... you stole it! Unsmoked AB's can catch a high dollar on secondary sites (i.e. ebay). Even smoked AB's will catch a high dollar depending on the pipe. That pipe is probably mid to late 60's, and possibly a very early 70's. Though, AB stopped receiving meerschaum in 1970 due to Turkey exportation laws, so if it's a 70's it was made from the last of the AB meerschaum stock.

Jun 23, 2019
First of all, it's definitely a steal at $70, especially given the original tags and the overall condition of everything.

But that second picture is what really peaked my interest!

"Imported exclusively by
Peterson's Ltd.
116 E. 16th St. N.Y. 10003"

I bet you could write Peterson's to inquire when they had an office at that address and get a more specific time frame for when the pipe is from.

ajmiller1990

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
First of all, it's definitely a steal at $70, especially given the original tags and the overall condition of everything.

But that second picture is what really peaked my interest!

"Imported exclusively by
Peterson's Ltd.
116 E. 16th St. N.Y. 10003"

I bet you could write Peterson's to inquire when they had an office at that address and get a more specific time frame for when the pipe is from.
That’s a really good tip. I will reach out to them to see if I can get any more information.