PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I recently received some ebay purchases, and in 1 bulk group I got an old carved pipe bowl. I'm not sure if it's clay or meerschaum. It's small, with very thin walls on the bowl, and has a masthead woman hanging from the front. It's beat up, but I plan on cleaning it and finding someone to make a new stem for it.
I have some pics, but don't know how to upload them. If someone wants to PM me their email, I send them the pics I have.
Thanks

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I thought so too, but I don't own a meer so am not sure. Also, a couple areas are chipped, and when they get really wet (I was cleaning it) it turns a dark, brownish yellow color. When it drys, it goes away. Hopefully the pics will shed some more light on this.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Heres the photos. Sorry it took me so long I had to take care of something

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The first few pictures give (to me anyway) an impression of stone.

But the last photo screams Meerschaum... with a military style mortise not less.

Quite an interesting find.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks Uber!
Yeah, I really like the looks of this piece. It's cleaned up pretty well, but I'll need a professional (hopefully the person who makes the custom stem for it) to clean it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You just don't see a lot of carvings like that on a pipe these days.
Simply beautiful. Detailed. Elegant.
I can't tell one way or the other from the photos what the hell it is. But it's gorgeous.
Great find!

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I'll try an take some more pics of this since I've cleaned it. It is much whiter, and hopefully some of the Meer masters on here will be able to tell me what this is!

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
by the looks of the last picture it appears to be clay. if you look close at the stem side there looks like a molding seam running down it.

Status
Not open for further replies.