PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I was about to suggest Dark Birdseye but I see you’re already going there. Be very interested on what you discover
Went pretty good, and I’m pretty bummed that rustica and me don’t love each other, as the strength is perfect. I’m probably gonna grab some bulk Kendal Kentucky or DBE Vintage Cut since the Africans carry more N than the Americans it seems.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I used to try to mix dark bird’s eye (back when it was really dark Birds Eye) with five bros, adding various condiments, including dark fired Kentucky. Never could get it to work for me

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
It’s the same blend.
That’s what she said🤣

It’s not the same cut, and if they’re both available when I order I’ll probably opt for DBE Vintage Cut because in this little venture in faffing around, once I find a small mix (I’m only making samples of 3-4gr for tasting) I settle on, I’ll be pressing a few ounces and for that I’d prefer something thicker than the shag cut of DBE.
Plus I’m hanging on to the DBE I already have because it’s awesome.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Next up will be 1g Yorktown, 1g 507S, 1.5g ODF, 1.5g DBE and trying for the secret sauce aroma/flavor-just a pinch (.5g) of 1792.
I’ll have a couple more smokes of this to confirm, but I think this’ll be as close as I can come.
If a couple more smokes still have me feeling the same I’ll be switching from grams to ounces, mixing, vac sealing the batch to hang out in a pot of water at a luxurious 180* for an hour or so, then loading up the noodle press while the mess is warm and juicy to squish for a week or more.
While half the components aren’t quite cheap bulks, the product will be cheaper in the end than tinned product (even on sale), and will have been a worthwhile experience.