PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
There is nothing better then wathing powerfull locomotives and puffing away on my pipe!

If anyone is in Pittsburgh and railfan perhaps we should meet at Station Square and puff away under the platform while watching CSX SD40 MACs rumble bur on the PL&E Main Line. There is a Tobbaco Shop in the mall beind the Station with Mason Jars of anything you want. and trolleys too...(Mr Rodgers was from Pittsburgh).

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
One of my longtime friends (dearly departed) was a Steam Train fanatic.

Me, I enjoy a program that comes on RFDTV, all it is-is film of old locomotives and trains, very little commentary, just trains doing their thing.

Trains & Locomotives

The next Episode:"Tin Feathers and Gasoline Fumes; America and the Passenger Train"

This one may be a documentary, however; the next episode has no title, so its probably going to be... just trains.

Mon 1/24, 6:00-7:00pm, RFDTV, Channel 231 Dish Network

Very relaxing, and entertaining.

I like to turn the volume way up... It drives the War Department crazy. :D
I also enjoy the Classic Tractors program as well.

Classic Tractors: Wed 1/26, 3:00-4:00pm RFDTV, Ch. 231
Edit: I meant to mention that I have an N-gauge steam train. :puffy:

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
SteamTrain, Im a railfan too. I go trackside and have a pipe myself. Though where i come from we call it the 'bench'. Being on the east, this is good ol' CSX country. Matter of fact, i dont leave the house without Chessie Systems gracing the top of my hat. I've been into freight since about 2004.
Nothing beats having an afternoon on the bench with a good smoke though, the engine coming by and giving you a good blast from the K5 or that Nathan riding shotgun..its been awhile since i've been though..as it can be a bit of a waste of time if you've got things you need to do! So i've not had a chance to go in awhile. My brother is a big rail fan too, hes even considering taking up pipe smoking! Hes deep into the air chimes and quite the expert on them.
I figured you were into trains judging by the name and the Av. Though i've not met any folks around here who are much for the train. Most people find them to be an inconvieniece(sp) poor bastards..dont smoke, and dont appreciate the train..They dont know what they're missing out on! Met alot of good people track side, Hobos and tramps. Alot of good memories.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
I'm a big railfan/model railroader, dating back over 35 years. Love steam, especially D&RGW standard and narrow guage. I'm a member of the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad in Chama, NM/Antonito, CO, and ride the railroad as often as I can. I've enjoyed a pipe while strolling through the yard among the rolling stock on display.
Here's a link:
http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/
Try to make the trip if you can. It's well worth it.
Frankly, modern diesel power, while big and impressive, bores me. Diesel locomotives, compared to steam, have no soul or character. Nothing, but nothing, sounds like a steam whistle. I just can't get excited at the "blast" of an air horn. Sorry.
I do model second generation EMD diesels on my layout, mainly for the pulling power and reliable operation. But steam locos are far more interesting, especially when the loco is sound equipped. They can be finicky though.
Everything is external on a steamer, the siderods, valve gear, wheels, cylinders, including the combustion. They also took a crew of men to operate, and consumed huge amounts of coal and water. They are also filthy, greasy, brutish MACHINES. Glorious!
On a diesel, everything is covered. Very sterile, cold, efficient. Yawn. Some diesel locos are even remote controlled in yards. More cold efficency.
Please don't take offense. I still like to stop and watch a coal train rumble past, just to take in the hugeness and feel the ground shake.
At one time, steam ruled the rails. Hearing a soulful steam whistle in the distance was a regular occurance. The smell of coal smoke was a sensory delight. Diesel exhaust just doesn't compare.
I was born too late and missed it all.
CACooper

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
http://www.blrhs.org/BLRHS%202011%20NL/Highball%20Volume%204%20Number%201.pdf
for info on my local train club....

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
Deisal engines have there own terms like U-Boats and Alcos and SDs and having driven and rode in them they have a feel all there own. Basicaly what you have is a power plant on wheels that is capible of powering a small city at the hands of a one throttle and a Air Brake. The best place for live steam is American Rails.com in Cumberland MD. Amtrak Capital Limited connects with the Western Maryland Steam Railroad at Cumberland MD to Frostburg MD and there are a number of B&Bs up there. Its not too late as steam escursions are all over the place if look up Classic Trains or Trains Magazine at Barnes and Noble for events and escursion operators.
Edit: Fixed Link, Lawrence

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I love all trains that emit subsonic frequencies, :clap: and that have the ability to shake your soul with the powerful vibrations. I have an audiophile LP of some steam trains out West climbing up some grades and passing by a Reel-to-Reel recorder, but you need proper subwoofage to hear it in all it's glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.