PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I smoked two bowls after I sanded the rim down.
@Briar Lee do you actually believe the stuff your saying? And please no anecdote.

I find everything you post very enjoyable, but a lot of times it is complete nonsense. I’m sure you’d be a hoot with a few beers.

I tells em as I sees em.:)

I believe Marxman pipes (and other similar grade Algerian briar pipes) start out tan color and turn a uniform shade of reddish brown.

IMG_6574.jpeg

On the other other hand I can smoke a natural color Lee for years, and even put grapeseed oil on it, and they dont color much at all.

IMG_6575.jpeg

And when I smoke the Marxman and then the Lee the Marxman, after it heats up inside has a distinct, robust, spicy flavor the Lee doesn’t. It’s not much spicy flavor but I like it, it’s noticeable, and repeatable. They must be reamed out, and the Algerian briar flavor is more pronounced with Virginia or other non aromatics.

I wonder sometimes wonder why I bother smoking anything but old Algerian briar, I like the sap inside so much, or whatever colors them red and gives them a spicy taste.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I love the beveled inner rim on this pipe. For some reason super squared edges on a smooth pipe aren’t as appealing to me. 👍
It has a beveled edge because at $15 it might have been the most expensive factory pipe on earth in 1936 or so. Marx made luxury pipes, and that was his largest size until the 400 in 1937.

Two smokes colored the rim and the pipe from this:

IMG_6545.jpeg

Back to red.

IMG_6561.jpeg

That one has soaked up a lot of beeswax, but all quality Algerian colors that shade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.