J.M. Bent With Shank Stamped "Turned Prior To 1900" !?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents,

Just acquired this pipe. Right side of shank is stamped solely "J.M." Left side of pipe is stamped "IMPORTED BRIAR" over "TURNED PRIOR TO 1900". It has a P-Lip type stem. The only reference to a "J.M." I found was John Mackenzie. pipephil.eu corroborates that John Mackenzie pipes carried the initials J.M., but the font was not an exact match. Pipedia offers that Mackennzie could be a "BBB sub-brand / second, may also have been produced in the Irish Republic". I saw no info at all in "Who Made That Pipe?".

I am most intrigued by the "Turned Prior To 1900" stamping, as I have never seen that stamping before. Anyone have knowledge of said stamping? Was it common at a particular point in time/era? Any additional info about this pipe? It is not a small bent at 7" long. That seems rather long for a pipe that might be very old. It is meant for my personal collection. I will take her for a spin tomorrow night to make the final determination.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

IMG_5230.jpegIMG_5231.jpeg

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
lovely pipe by the way. Really like the way it is carved. Can't tell if it is the lighting but the grain seems a bit subdued (i.e. can't really comment on it.)

I take 99% of my photos in natural light and pipes look best here in the redwoods in the AM. I was too excited to wait, so took the above photos at dusk. Here is another one under a lamp... lighting not optimal, but you can see the graining is not too bad.

IMG_5234.jpeg

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
John Middleton, as in the tobacco brand would be my guess:

Also, of interest there was one which sold recently on eBay with the same JM stamp and plip type stem

Beautiful Refurbished Sterling Silver J.M. (John Martin, Philadelphia) Dublin | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/185492436273
Thanks, Ahi Ki! I have handled a number of John Middleton pipes over the years and did not make the potential connection. Of course, all the ones I handled were stamped with the full name, "John Middleton". I have included an old ad I lifted from Pipedia that shows a strong match to my pipe's branding ("J.M.") and looks to establih it is a John Middleton, in case anyone in the future comes across this posting and needs the info. The ad hints that J.M. bowls were made in France and pipes fully assembled in the U.S. That makes sense when it comes to my pipe as the stummel to my eyes is very "French". I obviously nerd-out about this stuff (background of pipes). Apologies if it is annoying ;)JM.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice looking pipe. I like the TURNED PRIOR TO 1900 stamp. Hopefully someone can answer your question about the stamping.
IMG_5231.jpeg

Reactions: Humblepipe

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I am leaning toward this being a 1920s or so made pipe. Even so, it is interesting to think (whenever the pipe was made), it was "turned" and then stored until sometime in the future. Briar, like wine, whiskey, bourbon is more valued after its aged. Still, this is the first time I have seen the specific stamping "TURNED PRIOR TO 1900"... I am intrigued.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m posting this here for interest sake. Band is not hallmarked but case does say 1908, as does the college class year.