PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
Has anyone read the author Jack Whyte. I read his Eagles series about King Arthur (which I would strongly recomend to everyone who likes historical fiction) He has a new book out called the Forest Laird about William Wallace. It has gotten some mixed reviews. Has anyone checked it out or read it?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Ulster; I picked up the Forest Laird when it was first published, being a long time Jack Whyte fan myself. I have to admit, although it is a wonderful tale, it just does not hold a candle to the Eagle series. It's by no means terrible, it just doesn't contain nearly the level of depth of character contained in anything penned previously. Hoping to see a return to his earlier style with the next book in the Scottish hero's series, which, if I am not mistaken, will be based on Robert the Bruce.
If you haven't had a chance to do so, find yourself a copy of Fall of Giants by Ken Follett, I would say its his best writing to date...rivals Pillars in my eyes. Tale follows several families, with interconnected fates, starting at the turn of the century, with the trilogy covering their stories through to modern times (second and third books have yet to be published).

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
very cool. i will check Ken Follett's for sure. i'll give forest laird a go cause you say its not bad. eagles is just amazing though eh? i want someone to make a movie out of that desperatly. aparently the CBC and the BBC and th Italian governament (cause they wanted to shoot in in italy) tried to make it happen but some sort of politics shit got in the way. what a shame.
i hear jack whyte is getting slowly worse. i havent read the templar series but i hear it was the start of his downfall from my woman.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
and depth...man... eagles... i've never been captured by a series of books like that before...awesome eh?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Yeah, the Eagles series were by far the best collection of books I've yet found. I can't really find words that properly describe the depth of immersion one can find in any one of the titles. I will say I am a little worried that if a movie (or rather, movies/mini-series) was made from the series that it wouldn't hold a candle to the books, as is usually the case (which isn't to say I wouldn't watch it, record it, and watch it again...a few times!). The Pillars of the Earth mini-series is a prime example of this, or, of course (steels himself for blows), the LotR series - the movies, while great, just don't come close to firing the mind the way the book does. This, of course, is due to the medium, its a little hard to turn a 1,000 pages into a something exciting to watch...so sacrifices are made (or endings left out, in the case of LotR).
Bang on with the templar series - the first book was the a decent read, but the latter two left me dissapointed. I think he was onto something, but realized he couldn't really flesh it out properly, and still address the other subject matters he wishes to (as he had already announced intentions on the Scottish heroes series by the time the first templar book was published)...after all, he is in his 70's now, and to do the Templar series properly, he would have needed to pen another 500 years worth of history, roughly the same time frame covered by the Eagles series, which is what, 9 books (which, at a book a year, would have taken him to about 84 to write - assuming he was to keep up the pace he did with Eagles, something he hasn't done with the more recent series).

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
They were close to making a series for eagles. We went to a book signing seminar for him in vancouver. He said the Canadian and Italian gov were collaborating to shoot the series but couldn't get their shite together. Then everyone had a half hour convo on who the actors should be. It was fun. So they came close but no cigar. Don't really know why it was with the Italian gov. Should have been with the BBC. But jack was into a tv series Idea and agreed it couldn't be done justice in the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.