Jim's Sutliff Pipe Force Episode VI Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This blend goes on sale November 25 at 6 pm. EST.

The stoved Oriental Katerini provides a wealth of earth, wood, herbs, incense, floralness, vegetation, stewed creamy sweet and sour, tart and tangy citrus, spice, smoke, and mild tangy darker fruit as it takes a light lead. The smoky dark fired Kentucky offers plenty of earth, wood, floralness, spice, herbs, vegetation, some sour sharpness, peat, mild vinegar barbecue, and nuttiness as a competitive supporting player. The Saint James perique produces a fair amount of spice, dried plums, figs, earth, wood, and floralness in secondary support, although at times, it’s a tad more obvious. The aspects of the various Virginias are some tart and tangy citrus, grass, floralness, sour lemon, spice, sugar, mild darker fruits, earth, wood, and a touch of acidity. They create a bed for the more potent varietals, and are just above the condiment line. The strength, nic-hit and the taste are very filling. Won’t bite or get harsh. Has a few small rough edges. The easily broken apart crumble cake is mildly moist, and as is my custom, I did not dry the tobacco for this review. As is always the case with complex crumble cakes, there is a light taste inconsistency at times. Well balanced and punchy rich, it burns cool, clean and slow with a tangy sweet and tartly sour, floral, spicy, herbal, fruity, smoky, mildly nutty, light barbecue, and a very savory flavor that extends to the pleasantly long lasting after taste. The room note is very pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke. I recommend a small to medium bowl for this blend. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2023.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN

The stoved Oriental Katerini provides a wealth of earth, wood, herbs, incense, floralness, vegetation, stewed creamy sweet and sour, tart and tangy citrus, spice, smoke, and mild tangy darker fruit as it takes a light lead. The smoky dark fired Kentucky offers plenty of earth, wood, floralness, spice, herbs, vegetation, some sour sharpness, peat, mild vinegar barbecue, and nuttiness as a competitive supporting player. The Saint James perique produces a fair amount of spice, dried plums, figs, earth, wood, and floralness in secondary support, although at times, it’s a tad more obvious. The aspects of the various Virginias are some tart and tangy citrus, grass, floralness, sour lemon, spice, sugar, mild darker fruits, earth, wood, and a touch of acidity. They create a bed for the more potent varietals, and are just above the condiment line. The strength, nic-hit and the taste are very filling. Won’t bite or get harsh. Has a few small rough edges. The easily broken apart crumble cake is mildly moist, and as is my custom, I did not dry the tobacco for this review. As is always the case with complex crumble cakes, there is a light taste inconsistency at times. Well balanced and punchy rich, it burns cool, clean and slow with a tangy sweet and tartly sour, floral, spicy, herbal, fruity, smoky, mildly nutty, light barbecue, and a very savory flavor that extends to the pleasantly long lasting after taste. The room note is very pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke. I recommend a small to medium bowl for this blend. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2023.
As always thanks for the great review. I’m glad to see that you’ve copyrighted your work.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
As always thanks for the great review. I’m glad to see that you’ve copyrighted your work.
You're welcome. All of my reviews are copyrighted by me as soon as they are written under copyright law whether a notice is added or not. I decided to make it clearer that I own every single one of my reviews just like I own every single magazine article I have ever written.

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023

©Jim Amash 2023.
Would you mind my asking if you are comped these blends you review? The ‘this blend goes on sale’ sounds a bit like you are working for the blender or some vendor entity.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Would you mind my asking if you are comped these blends you review? The ‘this blend goes on sale’ sounds a bit like you are working for the blender or some vendor entity.
Some of them I am comped but I am under no obligation to do anything. I don't work for anybody in the pipe world. I mention when a blend goes on sale for those who may or may not be interested. Nobody ever asked me to do that. That's solely my choice.

So you know since you obviously have doubts: I do everything for free and my reviews are my gift to the pipe community. I have spent thousands and thousands of hours in service to that cause. It is my hobby and my passion because I care about my fellow pipe smokers that much.