PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Eons ago I gave away a Jobey because it didn't smoke quite as well as I wanted it to.I still think they're pretty pipes though.I just saw some online for a bit over fifty bucks.I'm thinking about giving it another go.I thought I would seek some opinions here though before I risk my money.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have a Jobey Bulldog and a Brandy, which takes the 9mm filter. They both smoke good and I've often wondered why I haven't heard more about Jobey pipes. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I like Jobeys although I don't like the screw in stems. I have 2 canadians that I constantly have to take apart with the aid of pliers just to get the "screw" part of the stem out. If I don't do that then - the pipe is impossible to get really clean. Other than that - they look nice, smoke well, etc. Give it a whirl again and let us know what you think.

Jul 15, 2011
I have a beautiful Jobey extra that I got as an estate buy. The previous owner sanded down the inside threads and converted the stem to a push bit. I sent it off to a gentleman to be restored, smoked it once, and found a crack in the tenon. Alas, now I have to send it off again :crying:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Jobey Asti Classic bulldog purchased on sale for $45.00 last year. It smokes well for the money,

but Clano, Matchstick and UncleArthur have together summarized it pretty well.

The threaded tenon/mortise is a big PITA. I hacked a conversion to a push-on tenon since the pipe wasn't valuable enough

to have it done professionally. It's hard to imagine why Jobey doesn't drop the screw-thread idea altogether. And lastly,

the draft is probably the pipe's weakest attribute, but still not totally bad.
I'd call it a good entry level pipe; something I smoke while knocking around, or in situations where it might get damaged or lost.

The price-point is about right though: less than half the worth of a Peterson, or ten times better than a cob. :lol:

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I have a Jobey Band pipe that I acquired on E-Bay as a "give away" with a pipe rest that I purchased. Floyd Norwood restored the pipe and it is one of my favorites. The threaded tenon/mortise link remains on the mouthpiece and a pipe cleaner passes through with no problem. The bowl is large and it smokes cooler than most other bowls. I would certainly acquire another Jobey if the opportunity presented.

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
I bought my first pipe on the 5th of this year. Bought a Jobey egg shaped 335 9mm filter. The pipe is a simple push-on tenon, and smokes great.
I am considering using my dremel to open up the draft hole a bit to allow a better draw. Any thoughts on this?

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I must have either gotten a re-worked one, or an odd ball one. Mine has a nice push in stem/tenon, no filter, good draw, and generally a good smoker. The bowl size is a bit small in my opinion, but over all it a good pipe, pulling duty as one of my VaPer pipes.

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Thought I would add a picture of the pipe I have. But I am lazy so I found a pic online rather than go and take a pic of myself with my pipe.
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=jobbu335

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
I have a canadian and like everything about it. Got it off the Bay and cleaned it up and oiled it down.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My Jobey Sunburst is the worst pipe I own.

I think that I could melt lead in the bowl it smokes so hot.

And, it is made for a filter.

I keep it because it has an interesting shape, and color.

Other than that....

I no longer even attempt to smoke it.
My opinion of Jobey pipes is biased because of my experience.

I would have to say: Don't waste your money.

JobeySunburstfilter.jpg

JobeySunburstfiltera.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I don't want to hijack a thread but could someone describe the process of re-aligning, re-seating, re-something the screw in stems on a jobey. I understand there is a way to sort of turn and click them back into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.