PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I have a really nice 5X cowboy hat that needs to be reshaped. But it’s really hard to find anyone in Boise to do it. I’ve never shaped a cowboy hat myself?
I couldn’t make it to the Boise pipe club meeting tonight. Maybe next month.
is that a Texas Ranger company a replica badge? All in all a very cool hat!
I think that Boise pipeclub meeting was cancelled due the bad weather...Your 5 X hat can be reshaped the way romaso suggests....I shape my hats differently...soak them completely wet in the shower but mostly leave it in the rain outside and then slowly shape them and let them dry naturally....Then my TX hat maker every time I am in TX i pay him a visit and he sprays some stuff to stiffen it likely that shellac stuff romaso mentioned...Thats it...easy..Lower class hats does not hold shape well...This hat is 7x old Resistol hat bought in Forth Worth,TX and the badge is antique replica of an old TX Ranger badge...Most every western store reshapes hats but sometimes the guy does not exactly know what your hat should look like..Easier to do it yourself

• Love
Reactions: Fralphog

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Okay, here it the can of Half and Half I’ve had sitting on top of my pipe rack for at least 9 years And it was “old” when I bought it. I don’t know how to date these cans of the tobacco. I decided to open it up tonight and check it out and sample the moisture and tin notes.
Wow, it has a wonderful sweet, cinnamon smell that reminds me of cinnamon graham crackers. It’s dry but not to the point of powdering when softly rolled between a few fingers.
I am going to smoke this tomorrow and I will report my findings!image.jpg

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Pretty interesting smoke...There is still R.J.Reynolds on it instead of Middleton so it should be pre 1987 packaging..Bought it at antique store in Montana.Tobacco is dry but not to the point it can't be smoked..very interesting flavor...never smoked Carter Hall beforeView attachment 123036View attachment 123037
I have a can of half-and-half that has tobacco in it and still has the paper seal on it. I’ve never even thought of smoking it? Maybe I should pop that baby open and give it a try?
I popped a can last week. It is understated, but not without merit.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
woooow...!!So you decided to open it up...Cool,,,Let us know how it taste and compare to the new version if you can...I like new version of H&H ...the older version must smell so vintage....My Carter Hall does...Your tin looks really old maybe 40s 50s ??Who knows...do you think it needs some moisture to make yours smokeable?

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
woooow...!!So you decided to open it up...Cool,,,Let us know how it taste and compare to the new version if you can...I like new version of H&H ...the older version must smell so vintage....My Carter Hall does...Your tin looks really old maybe 40s 50s ??Who knows...do you think it needs some moisture to make yours smokeable?
I’m undecided on moisture. I think I will try smoking it in one of my smallest pipes just to see how it burns and smokes. If I have to, I will move it to a mason jar and lightly rehydrate it.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Well, it appears the thread has crept a bit. Not an intentional effort to undermine the naming conventions of the forum Or create havoc.
But, it appears to have got your (@yohanan ) attention and ire?
In an attempt to not confound those inclined to rigid constraints, I will move the remainder of my discussion of half-and-half to a new thread. Good day Sir.

• Haha
Reactions: yohanan

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Well, it appears the thread has crept a bit. Not an intentional effort to undermine the naming conventions of the forum Or create havoc.
But, it appears to have got your (@yohanan ) attention and ire?
In an attempt to not confound those inclined to rigid constraints, I will move the remainder of my discussion of half-and-half to a new thread. Good day Sir.
no need moving the conversation...This thread is about vintage Carter Hall and antique Half &Half..

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Got the critters fed and I am ready to sit down and smoke this vintage Half-and-Half tobacco. I thought it only fitting to smoke it in one of my grandpa Mac’s KW 88S “Roady”.
Going to brew up a nice cup of coffee to go with this. Standby

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 4

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Got the critters fed and I am ready to sit down and smoke this vintage Half-and-Half tobacco. I thought it only fitting to smoke it in one of my grandpa Mac’s KW 88S “Roady”.
Going to brew up a nice cup of coffee to go with this. Standby
I just visited an antique store in SLC and they had an old tobacco maple and rum halfway open likely from 30s-60s ..I did not get it because it was so dry it would be suicidal to smoke it..They had an old antique unopened 5Brothers but it felt dry as well...I was shocked How expensive pipe tobacco is in Utah..been told that pipesmokers can not even order it online to ship to Utah..Its ilegal.They got like 180% tax on it...extreme...25 -39 $ a tin of average decent tobaccos you pay like 10-14,-$ online ..But got me a recent CH there to comapare it to my vintage pre 87..I payed 9.12 $ for 1,5 ounce which is higher but I can handle it...But would never pay 33,-$ a 50g tin of other tobacoss

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I had to run to three different stores to find Half and Half (HH) pouch.
I’m going to pack a bowl in my MM Charles Town Cobbler and see how it compares to the vintage HH.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: btwes7

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I just finished a bowl of HH current year tobacco. I’ve never smoked HH before and I have to say I enjoyed it very much. Definitely different than the vintage tobacco. Some initial assessments include the following:

Tin Note-
Vintage- has an amazing cinnamon graham cracker subtle sweet note that is very pleasing.
New- when I openEd the new pouch of HH, I was immediately greeted with mild tobacco scent with a sweet, somewhat floral note. I kept mixing the tobacco and re-smelling it. Trying to figure out what the sweet notes may have come from? At one point I picked up a subtle rum maybe maple note? Overall-pleasing.

Smoking Notes-
The real difference in these two tobaccos is in the flavor while smoking. I think it’s only fair to try and rehydrate some of the vintage tobacco and see if it doesn’t allow some of the flavors to come out a little more. Initial tasting comparison is summarized by saying:

The vintage tobacco was smooth straightforward tobacco flavor and very little else. I did pick up an occasional light cocoa, nutty flavor but little or no sweetness. I thought the dry tobacco would smoke quickly, but it actually was a challenge to keep lit. I was concerned about tamping too heavily, thinking it would crush what little structure was left and create a powder.
The newer HH packed easily, lit well and smoked nice and cool. I was surprised at how wonderfully smooth the smoke was. Nice clean tobacco flavor with nutty ,cocoa, sweet flavors even all the way through to the bottom of the bowl. Honestly, I have nothing negative to say about HH. I can see how this blend has survived over the years and still garners strong support. I can see myself enjoying this tobacco as part of a weekly rotation change up. It’s an excellent smoke with a cup of coffee. Not to mention a value for the price.

I think I need to smoke another bowl or two of each tobacco to get a better understanding of the subtle differences between the vintage and the new.

I’m off to rehydrate the vintage HH. Once I get it ready to smoke, I think I will pack two separate Cobs with each tobacco and Smoke them side by side to get a better comparison. Maybe I could play a “dueling banjos” track while I’m smoking ?

• Love
Reactions: btwes7 and AlanH

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
One of the fascinating things about pipe smokers is just how we handle tobacco. A lot, me included, believe that a smoke is better if the tobacco has a period of drying time. But when we get a hold of some dry vintage tobacco, the first thing said is "You got to rehydrate that bad boy." I need to rehydrate so I can dry it to smoke. We are strange creatures.
I smoke my pipe to rehydrate me.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
I had to run to three different stores to find Half and Half (HH) pouch.
I’m going to pack a bowl in my MM Charles Town Cobbler and see how it compares to the vintage HH.
i like modern version of H H it is just different then older quite a bit...ohh just seen your review..The strongest flavor for me in H&H is a dried plum flavor...Long time ago when I was living in Europe my grandma dried plums and kept them for all winter so we have some healthy snack to eat...That taste I will never forget...Sometimes she mixed up some spices with it and made warm plum preserve on the woodstove out of it just for the evening...it was so delicius.

Last edited:

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Well I just realized that my CH tobacco is not pre 1987 but pre 1974 because the box did not even had a bar code on it yet...So tobacco is about 2 years younger of my birth year...but it even maybe from 60s ..I remember seller was talking something about it but I just had a phone call at the wrong time to answer and forgot to ask him...I will do review of the new version after some time ...got a little cold from working outside in the snow few days...