SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 21, 2023
Hi,today I received some Century Pirates Plunder Krumble Kake that I ordered and to me it seems very dry,I just got 25 grams to try it but the tobacco,when rubbed out,virtually turns to dust,the feel of the tobacco before rubbing out was very hard,there wasn't a lot of moisture.When smoked there is an unpleasant harshness to the smoke,a roughness that is an instant turn off for me.So are all Krumble Kake tobaccos like this?Have I just been sent a pouch which has been lying around for too long?Can I rehydrate the remainder of it?If so how best can I do this?Or should I just return this to the retailer?

Crumble cake tobacco isn't so plentiful in the UK market,so I jumped at the chance of getting some when I saw it,I'm a big Latakia fan but this was very disappointing for me.

Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated

Regards!

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
No, all crumble cake tobaccos are not like that. It sounds like it was sitting around for a while or is otherwise really dried out. Maybe try rehydrating it. It should not turn to dust when rubbed out.

Reactions: MorseCodePiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You can certainly try rehydrating it. What have you got to lose? I usually place the desiccated tobacco in a bowl, soak paper toweling with distilled water and cover the top of the bowl with it so that it doesn't touch the tobacco, and let the tobacco absorb the moisture.

Every couple of hours I'll pull back the toweling and toss the tobacco a bit, then recover the bowl. Check to see if the tobacco feels like it's absorbed some moisture. Jar it and leave it alone for a week so that the moisture has time to distribute itself evenly, then fire it up.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Lucky you only bought 25g. Most American tobacco does come a lot drier than what we’re used to in the UK. Don’t think it would be fair to the retailer if you sent it back just because it’s dry & you don’t like the taste of it. If you’re after a quality crumbly flake/cake, 1820 Flake from Germain’s is about the best you can get in the UK.

Reactions: MorseCodePiper
Feb 21, 2023
Lucky you only bought 25g. Most American tobacco does come a lot drier than what we’re used to in the UK. Don’t think it would be fair to the retailer if you sent it back just because it’s dry & you don’t like the taste of it. If you’re after a quality crumbly flake/cake, 1820 Flake from Germain’s is about the best you can get in the UK.
Hi,I think I'll try to rehydrate what I've left according to Sablebrush52s instructions above and see how I go,thanks for the Germains tip!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hi,I think I'll try to rehydrate what I've left according to Sablebrush52s instructions above and see how I go,thanks for the Germains tip!
You can try a ‘quicker fix’ if you want. Load your pipe & cover the top of the bowl with your mouth, breathe in with your nose & slowly exhale through your mouth, covering the stem hole with your finger,do that for a couple of minutes.That will dampen the tobacco & slow the burn down.