PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
I'm not denying that this is a pipe made by (or for) Cristiano, however, the stamp doesn't seem to read 'Cristiano'.

I am no expert on Cristiano pipes, but his 'T. Cristiano' signature stamping is a bit different, or perhaps there was an off day at the factory?

View attachment 258359
*Credit to pipephil.eu for the photo.

The 'ristiano' portion of the script just doesn't look right in the OPs' photo. Perhaps we were given a bad context of lighting 🤷‍♂️?

Most of his pipes are believed to have been made in Italy (by either Barontini, or by L'Anatra), hence the 'Hand Made In Italy' (*and all variations of the theme). It is alleged that the brand was merely a 'Distributor Brand', because of this.

Other information floats on about the man himself, along with the pipes he made and the brands he was associated with. All I will say is that there are very nice pipes stamped 'T. Cristiano' out there. Rest in peace to Signor Cristiano.
I agree, the signature on my pipe def looks different than the 2 others posted here. Isn't it entirely possible to have different dies for different types of pipes. Flat vs curved, for instance, maybe even smaller signatures? I doubt this would be a replica.

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
I've got another one for you sleuths. I can't read the signature and not sure if it's a porcelain or meersham pipe. Go forth. Also, the stem attaches via a cork (not pictured).

Attachments

• _MG_0061.jpg
    _MG_0061.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 4
  • _MG_0066.jpg
    _MG_0066.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 4

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
I've got another one for you sleuths. I can't read the signature and not sure if it's a porcelain or meersham pipe. Go forth. Also, the stem attaches via a cork (not pictured).
Looks to be Lepeltier Pipes.

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
I agree, the signature on my pipe def looks different than the 2 others posted here. Isn't it entirely possible to have different dies for different types of pipes. Flat vs curved, for instance, maybe even smaller signatures? I doubt this would be a replica.
I don't think it's a replica, it's just different to what I had seen previously. Could have come out of a different workshop/from a different carver. Maybe that's how one can pinpoint who made the pipe? I wouldn't know any details, but that's what I would think.

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
I have another question for you pipe masters... I also have this lovely Italian Radice Rind pipe. I have been looking online and I just have not seen any pipe with a shank like this. I don't even know what to call this style. Is this natural? It's all in one piece (the bowl to shank). It also says "PITCH" on the insignia. And yes, I have looked on Pipedia, as well as other sites.

Attachments

• _MG_0043.jpg
    _MG_0043.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4728.jpg
    IMG_4728.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 5

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have another question for you pipe masters... I also have this lovely Italian Radice Rind pipe. I have been looking online and I just have not seen any pipe with a shank like this. I don't even know what to call this style. Is this natural? It's all in one piece (the bowl to shank). It also says "PITCH" on the insignia. And yes, I have looked on Pipedia, as well as other sites.
It’s a faux bamboo shank.
It’s recognisably Radice and NOT at all UNcommon