PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

throwryuken

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
does anyone know of a list of wood that can be used to make a pipe? i know harder the better to deal with the heat but was just wondering if there was a good list to look at.
i have a ton of old cherry in mt back yard that is left over from a tree we cut down. ive been using it for bbqing. would i have to prep the wood to make a pipe out of it or is cherry a bad wood to use?

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
To be honest you could probably make a pipe out of any wood, it would really be a matter of longevity and perhaps taste depending on the wood. I have seen pipes made of pear, cherry, and oak, all of them had a precarb on them.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You should find all, or most, of the answers to your questions here.
I know of a few pipers on these forums that have cherry wood pipes. So they are safe. But as far as if you have to do anything to them before smoking? I have no clue. Hopfully some carvers will chime in to help you with any additional processes that will be needed.
Pay close attention to the bottom of the chart for the woods that can be poisonous to you!

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Good advice spartan, I was going to tell him about toxic wood.
I had a pine pipe once, everything tasted like Pinesol and made me sick. bleach!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Cherry is a definite, but I have personally smoked, pear, cherry, apple, maple, and ash. I also know oak is used sometimes as well.
dry the wood in a shed or office, carve it, and smoke the first bowl real real real slow, with a neutral dry dry dry tobacco for the first couple bowls
probably a good idea to use the quarters method as well

Jul 12, 2011
I have made pipes from Olive, Apricot & Pistachio...but nothing beats

good 'ol briar...if you dont put shank etensions on those

above woods...you will crack shanks ;-) been there and done that

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'd save the cherry for the BBQ... or maybe make some tampers or racks! But in my opinion they're no substitute for briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.