PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’m thinking I better set a control experiment side by side with yours. It would be a shame if MM’s reputation is dragged through the mud just because of Canadian weather...or wildlife
Imagine if the cob is just fine in January, that would say much about the cob too right?

But if you'd like to toss a cob up on your roof you are more than welcome to! ?

Reactions: kurtbob and Ahi Ka

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All in the name of science! Well done!

But a control group is needed- and not just one of each!

So, 50 cobs, 200 briars of 4 different qualities/price points, and 50 meers, 25 straight billiards, 25 ornate figural. [One Brylon in for the win as to least affected. I Gorontee the latter outcome!]

To save you time and effort tying them up, just dump them all randomly in the rain gutters, and cover with a mesh so the squirrels and rats won't get at them.

If you start a GoFundMe page, I will contribute!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Imagine if the cob is just fine in January, that would say much about the cob too right?

But if you'd like to toss a cob up on your roof you are more than welcome to! ?
Tell ya what, I’ll put up a well used cob. We are in winter now, which while isn’t cold compared to some places, is wet. While I’m at it, I’ll chuck up a dr grabow too

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
So, 50 cobs, 200 briars of 4 different qualities/price points, and 50 meers, 25 straight billiards, 25 ornate figural. [One Brylon in for the win as to least affected. I Gorontee the latter outcome!]

bugger. We could have used @chasingembers collection before he streamlined.

oh and yeah, brylon would win for sure. I lost one in the garden for a few months and it smoked better after I found it

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
bugger. We could have used @chasingembers collection before he streamlined.

oh and yeah, brylon would win for sure. I lost one in the garden for a few months and it smoked better after I found it
Pretty low bar on that one, what? :)

Reminds me of what is said of some ratty towns/cities: A tornado went through the center of town and caused $1.2 million in improvements.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's already some accelerated testing that's been done. I put a cob and three briars through the dishwasher a year or two ago. Ash has tortured some briars, as have a few others.

I include myself, having dropped two pipes mid smoke into a swimming pool. Very hard to relight just after, and the tobacco tasted strange. So I cleaned and dried them, back into the rack and rotation. No harm, no foul.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
There's already some accelerated testing that's been done. I put a cob and three briars through the dishwasher a year or two ago. Ash has tortured some briars, as have a few others.

I include myself, having dropped two pipes mid smoke into a swimming pool. Very hard to relight just after, and the tobacco tasted strange. So I cleaned and dried them, back into the rack and rotation. No harm, no foul.
And don’t forget @shanez poolside gravity test he does on the occasional meer

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
And don’t forget @shanez poolside gravity test he does on the occasional meer
I can confirm that gravity, concrete, and meerschaum don't mix.

If you drop a cob you're most likely looking at no damage whatsoever or at worst something cosmetic.

I can't say for briar but I can confirm both cobs and meers can be completely submerged occasionally in chlorinated pool water, rinsed in tap water, and dried to no ill effect.

I'm not a fan of cobs but I'm really liking them for the pool. The level of comfort knowing I'm not going to do any damage (or even if I do it won't be a lot of money) is nice. I even light them with jet/torch lighters which can char the rim but doesn't do much else.

In short, if you need/want a pipe you can abuse the crap out of without financial risk, get a cob.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
He'II end up rotting, It`s gonna be a zombie cob................It will be a launch the cob zombie Super MM limited Edition................You'II be a famous boy.............?

Reactions: STP

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know about all of Canada, but when I've been to Toronto I saw some big sturdy black squirrels who looked like they might eat a corncob pipe, stem and all, for lunch. I think they really do have thicker coats and more fat on their bones than our gray squirrels further south.

Reactions: OzPiper and JOHN72

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't know about all of Canada, but when I've been to Toronto I saw some big sturdy black squirrels who looked like they might eat a corncob pipe, stem and all, for lunch. I think they really do have thicker coats and more fat on their bones than our gray squirrels further south.
You are welcome to take a few hundred of them with you next time you visit Tom.