PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
So as not to start another thread - Iā€™ve got some oldies Iā€™d rather just have new, replacement stems made for.

Are there recommendations?

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
If an identical non-Dunhill pipe like that came into my workshop, I could turn it around a day and the owner would probably be quite pleased. Because of the apparent "value" of this Dunhill, though, I would pass. Hmmm...

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Rhetoric aside, I don't see a great answer to the OP's question. I'd like to know as well. I can clean a pipe pretty well myself but beyond a simple clean/hand polish, I'm not about to monkey with my pipes regardless of value.

In the past I used Anthony Cook. Now I have pipes sitting around I'm wondering what to do with.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If an identical non-Dunhill pipe like that came into my workshop, I could turn it around a day and the owner would probably be quite pleased. Because of the apparent "value" of this Dunhill, though, I would pass. Hmmm...
Just another factory pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What about a Bic lighter and paper towels? Asking for a friend.
Sorry, YouTube deleted several of my tobacco videos but the befores and afters are there.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I would obviously be thinking George D. to clean this pipe however because this isnā€™t ā€œjust another factory pipeā€ but a piece of history worth a dollar or two, my 2Ā¢ would be just to have it cleaned.

I donā€™t mind a tasteful restoration that tops a piece or restains a stummel but on a piece like this if it were to be restored to ā€œlike newā€ you no longer have the original but an exact copy of the original (which is very different).

Cleaning may leave some scars of the past such as rim darkening or dents or wear from years of handling but IMO it is desired to have those plus you keep it original, which is a bonus.

A cleaning on this pipe in and of itself is no simple task as George pointed out with the oxidation alone so it would still require and prefer professional work but it would leave the original stain and still look absolutely amazing if not better than a shiny new looking pipe.

All my opinion of course since I donā€™t own the pipe. I would stay away from instant pros, self proclaimed ā€œknow it allsā€, flame and toothpaste, household cleaners, Oxiclean, bleach etc ā€”all that and skip right on over to George D. If he is willing and you are able.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think George is perhaps the only person that can stain-match the original. I once asked him how many stain colors he had on his shop. I don't remember the exact answer, but it was over 100. I have about six....

I assume everyone is aware that Anthony Cook has disappeared and seemingly abandoned his business (he might be deceased). His work was amazing, and he was only down the road an hour or so from me, so I missed an opportunity to meet him.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I assume everyone is aware that Anthony Cook has disappeared and seemingly abandoned his business (he might be deceased). His work was amazing, and he was only down the road an hour or so from me, so I missed an opportunity to meet him.

Anthony could indeed get 'er done. šŸ‘ :) šŸ‘ :)šŸ‘

He and I were in regular contact. Sometimes "head phone connected" for 6-8 hours at a time while doing and discussing shop stuff.

All my gear was to become his when I could no longer use it. The arrangements were made. He was, I suppose, the 21st century version of an apprentice.

The last message I ever received from him was, "The roof just fell in."

Been dark ever since. Even PI-style digging into courthouse records and related have produced no information.

If anyone reading this---the board gets new memebers all the time---can help solve the mystery of Anthony's disappearance, please contact one of the mods. (They'll know who to contact and how to reach them.)