PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
The stem of my Savinelli Miele 611 has always had a relatively loose fit into the shank. It's not moving around or anything, but it's definitely not as snug as I feel it should be. Had a bowl of Sutliff Westminster this afternoon, let it cool down like I always do, and when I took the stem out for cleaning, it was the loosest it has ever been. Barely had to put in any effort whatsoever to pull it out. Now, I've dealt with the opposite problem successfully--I used a dried out nub of bar soap on the tenon of my Mattone 601 to get a better fit, as it was too tight. Haven't dealt with the too loose issue yet, and it seems decidedly more difficult than its counterpart.

Anyone have any advice for me on this? It's not a disaster yet...I'm hoping to address this before it gets to that point. Thanks!

Reactions: Laurent

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Light a tea candle an hover the tenon over it an inch and a half over the flame while rotating it in your finger. I start out by counting to 30 while heating tenon. Let cool and check fit. If still loose reheat and count to forty let cool an check fit. Do not overheat whatever you do.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I was just thinking that. Miele = honey...beeswax! Of course! It's between the nail polish fix and the beeswax fix, maybe I should just flip a coin. Candle flame fix just fills me with anxiety... ?
Why not combine all three approaches? Go get your nails done, and get your beauty therapist to candle your ears, then use your own wax….and then promptly sell the pipe.