PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I just bumped into an old friend, who went to work for the Secret Service and was in charge of providing security for the Justices. In 25 years, he met four Presidents, we promised to get together so I can hear some of his stories. The downside was he drove into Washington DC every day (one well, about 90 miles of pure roadway hell)
Pipe smoking would’ve made that awful commute decently pleasant.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
It's a Digital Audio Converter of high quality. The ones in a phone, iPad or lap top are not top notch.
From just the picture and me not saying exactly what it was, it's easy to see how you could think it's a converter. A reasonable conclusion. However in this case the little black box is a Ray Samuel's Audio SR71A amplifier. And you are correct that the d/a converters in consumer portable devices are "not top notch"... which is being kind. However, in the case of the Ipod Classic 7th Generation, 120gb. they broke the rule and used an exceptional converter. This little amp connects to the Ipod's charging port and bypasses the Ipod's very poor amp and allows me to use my Sennheiser HD600 headphones. This combined with a Ray Samuels interconnect between Ipod and amp, results in a pretty great sound quality. (no mp3, only lossless recording). I've had this system for about 10 years now and I'm still happy with it. And trust me, I'm not easy to please when it comes to sound systems.

So, it you want a good portable system, here is all the info you should need to put one together. Oh, and you'll also need about $1,500. puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Aha! Great expo; thanks. Now I gotta see what version my iPad is.
I'm glad you found it useful. I'm no expert on portable audio, but know enough to accomplish my goals. If you, or others, find the subject of portable sound systems interesting you might want to take a look at Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org - https://www.head-fi.org/. Those guys are really hardcore and know their stuff. You can get a lot of info and questions answered. But, remember, it's just like this forum in that there are a lot of different opinions. puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr