Maintaining Vulcanite Stems in Canada and US!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Brigham Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Jody Davis Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
10 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I've always searched pipe questions followed by pipemagazine forums. It brings up a great deal of information. I'm sure I am not the only one!

I wanted to post an excellent solution, both for members of the forums and outsiders googling.

On amazon, you can find what is called butchers block conditioner (photo will be attached)

It is ready available with quick shipping for prime members and works fantastic!

It's essentially mineral oil, carnuba wax and bees wax all in one.

After every smoke I lather my stem with it and leave it be. Prior to my next smoke I buff it off and so far so good!

The first time I got my dream pipe I ran some of it through the inside of the stem via a pipe cleaner and will do so from time to time as well.

It is also excellent for rubbing on the outside of the pipe itself for shine and protection.

Here is a photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_102944_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_102944_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Such items not limited to Canada! Most hardware stores sell a similar (or same) product, some big chains as well. Mineral oil is even more widely available...
Thanks for the heads up!
I was never aware tbh. I knew about mineral oil, but not a product that had beeswax and carnauba wax mixed in.
I have to say this product is amazing. I have 4 Vulcanite stem Petersons now, soon to be 6. After using this stuff a few times a nice coating develops and the protection from oxidizing is amazing, it also keeps an extremely nice shine. After a smoke I simply rub down the stem with a tiny bit on my finger and leave it until I grab the pipe again, at which time I buff it off. I'm sure I have enough coating that if I went somewhere and couldn't maintain the stem for a few days I'd have nothing to worry about.
This stuff is awesome!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I use Obsidian oil and Paragon wax on my rubber bits religiously after every smoke before I put a pipe away. But the most important bit of maintenance anywhere in the world is to keep the bit away from light. Light tarnishes vulcanite without fail. I even go to the extent of making tubes out of black paper to go around my stems in order to keep light out.

Roach1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I use Obsidian oil and Paragon wax on my rubber bits religiously after every smoke before I put a pipe away. But the most important bit of maintenance anywhere in the world is to keep the bit away from light. Light tarnishes vulcanite without fail. I even go to the extent of making tubes out of black paper to go around my stems in order to keep light out.
Good tip. Thanks

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
You mentioned lathering up stem after a smoke, and leaving it until next needed and then you buff it off. So, I suppose it does best when left a while?? What if you want a quicker turnaround? Does it do well with an apply, dry and buff?