PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
well the week is almost over and it has a nice colour. It has been kinda nice not thinking of wich pipe to smoke. I really need to get a shot of in in the sunlight some resally sweet reds on the stem and starting to cross the bottom of the bowl.
meer3w.jpg

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Man that is amazing I am waiting on a meer myself I think I might follow your lead on this and make it my one and only for a while. How many bowls a day do you smoke through it?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Fred has said that by applying beeswax it provides a wicking (kinda thing) and the color will migrate much faster than you might at first imagine.

That looks great!

:clap:

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Lawrence is correct about the Beeswax serving as a wick for bringing patina to the Block's surface. These estate Meerschaums will sometimes have years of coloration within the Block that has not made it to the surface for display. Currently, I'm working on getting a pre-Koncak Andreas Bauer Paneled Billiard back on course in it's evolution. When I bought it, it came cheap because it had been thru years of abuse and neglect. I sent it to Floyd Norwood for a new bit, new connector and the bowl's plateau needed to be smoothed since the previous owner must have whacked it on hard objects to empty the ash from the chamber. He also saved money by never purchasing any Pipe cleaners. In short, the Pipe was a disaster. Floyd worked his magic and I put in a couple of hours with Everclear to clean it, inside and outside. Yesterday I had my first smoke in it, which was surprisingly pleasant as the previous owner was a Virginia smoker. The Pipe took wax like a thirsty camel and this rapidly brought patina from the Block's interior to the outer surface, showing the benefits of years of smoking very quickly in dark coloration of the shank to midway up the bowl. Afterwords, I cleaned it again and set it aside to dry. It will take a few more of these smoke/clean cycles before it smokes with clarity and it will continue to develop patina quickly. These old Meerschaums can be worth the effort required to bring them back to their evolution, as they pay handsome rewards for the lessons learned from distant fires.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Amazon sells it. They also sell yellow beeswax.

I'm not sure what the difference is.

Thanks Philip, I had checked amazon before, they don't ship that particular item to Canada, and the one they do is almost $30 with shipping! The hunt continues.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Hot damn that's a nice coloration on that meer. Not sure how I missed the update a WEEK ago. I bet that thing will be dark brown or black within a month of smoking it!
Man I can't wait to get a hold of a nice meer pipe. :crying:
Nicely done pawpaw.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
I may have to do another week of nuttin but meer in the near future so I can clean my oxidized stems on my other pipes. Right now it holds the friday slot

Status
Not open for further replies.