PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bourbonandcigars

Might Stick Around
Mar 30, 2024
Is it okay to use everclear in meerschaum pipes? Thats how I’ve cleaned bowls on briar pipes for over a decade now but I’m new to meers.

Bourbonandcigars

Might Stick Around
Mar 30, 2024
I do. But using only a large soft 12 gauge bore swab and very little alcohol. Too much liquid would soften the meer I believe. Let it dry. You can just wipe with a dry cloth. No cake concerns.
u think a small amount on a q-tip would work? Then use a dry pipe cleaner to dry it out?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Water works just fine, are you talking about inside the bowl or outside? outside a little water and a toothbrush work just fine. Depending on the pipe you don't want to strip away too much of any wax or coating that protects the stone, if you do there are arguments that over time the porous material could start to get pitted etc., because there is no protective coating, but that's only what i've read never experienced.

Last edited:

Bourbonandcigars

Might Stick Around
Mar 30, 2024
Water works just fine, are you talking about inside the bowl or outside? outside a little water and a toothbrush work just fine. Depending on the pipe you don't want to strip away too much of any wax or coating that protects the stone, if you do there are arguments that over time the porous material could start to get pitted etc., because there is no protective coating, but that's only what i've read never experienced.
Just inside the bowl. So run hot water through the bowl and dry with pipe cleaners?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just inside the bowl. So run hot water through the bowl and dry with pipe cleaners?
I don't really clean the inside that often, i mean if there is a lot of cake in the bowl you can get some very fine sand paper and wrap it around something like a pen or dowel or i use my finger and just kind of run it around the inside of the bowl and then a little water on a paper town and run that around in there and it's fine to me. I don't really run water through them and things but that's just me.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I don't really clean the inside that often, i mean if there is a lot of cake in the bowl you can get some very fine sand paper and wrap it around something like a pen or dowel or i use my finger and just kind of run it around the inside of the bowl and then a little water on a paper town and run that around in there and it's fine to me. I don't really run water through them and things but that's just me.
Where is Paper Town can’t find it on a map near water. Sorry for the humor.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is it okay to use everclear in meerschaum pipes? Thats how I’ve cleaned bowls on briar pipes for over a decade now but I’m new to meers.
Won't hurt them at all.

Reactions: Chalaw87