Meerschaum Pipe Stuck/Broken Stem Problem: Any Advice On How To Fix Is Welcome.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

perseus

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Hi everyone,

New user hoping for some advice.

I have a Meerschaum pipe and the stem/mouthpiece has broken. I'm not entirely sure what/how it has broken but my best guess is as follows:
- There ought to be a plastic insert (#2) in the pipe itself (#4), but this has come loose from the Meerschaum.
- The mouthpiece (#3) has a small nozzle type bit (#1) that goes in to the insert (#2), however these two pieces are now stuck together and cannot be taken apart.
- I have presumably pulled the mouthpiece out and the insert has come loose at the same time. This is both a problem for getting the insert back in to the pipe, and also loosening the insert from the mouthpiece.

https://i.imgur.com/WdbwTIS.jpg

At present, the stem (#1, #2, & #3) and insert do not go flush to the pipe. This suggests to me that the stem (1 & 3) are half-trapped in the insert. I've tried all sorts of ways of getting them apart but it just isn't happening.

The only thing I can think of is using some type of glue or other material to secure #3 back in to the pipe, and hoping the bond created gives me the leverage to tease the mouthpiece back out of the insert.

However, as mentioned, suggestions are wanted/welcome. I am a new pipe smoker who has only been at it a year and this meerschaum pipe has only been smoked a few times by me. It is not brand new but it hasn't been heavily used by any stretch of the imagination either. I would welcome any advice on how to fix it, or failing that, where to send it to be worked on (within the UK).

Thanks.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Not a repairer...

But I wouldn't glue it back in and then hope to get leverage to remove the outer 2 pieces in question. I'd think you'd be more likely to break your pipe doing that.

Be patient, you should get some advice pop up at some point.

perseus

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Send it to Rich at Briarville...
I'd rather send it to someone this side of the Atlantic, but thanks for the suggestion. If there's no other option I will probably do this but as I say, I'd rather get it fixed here in the UK or Europe before sending it to the US.

perseus

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Not a repairer...

But I wouldn't glue it back in and then hope to get leverage to remove the outer 2 pieces in question. I'd think you'd be more likely to break your pipe doing that.

Be patient, you should get some advice pop up at some point.
Thanks, I'm reluctant to try to fix it myself tbh as it's an expensive pipe. A professional repair job is fine by me, I just thought it would be worth posting here to see if anyone could help out.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Thanks, I'm reluctant to try to fix it myself tbh as it's an expensive pipe. A professional repair job is fine by me, I just thought it would be worth posting here to see if anyone could help out.
I'm surprised you haven't had more responses. Many here seem to do lots of repairs.
Good luck.

perseus

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Is #1 part of the stem or part of the insert? Need to know this before I tell you how to proceed...
It's part of the stem. I suppose you'd call it the tenon with #2 (which is usually stuck in the pipe) being the mortise?

Normally #1 should go flush in to #2.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
It looks to me like #2 is a sleeve that should stay in the mortise/pipe shank. The tenon should slide in and out of that. I could be high though.

So why not just glue #2 back in and then remove the stem?

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
It looks to me like #2 is a sleeve that should stay in the mortise/pipe shank. The tenon should slide in and out of that. I could be high though.

So why not just glue #2 back in and then remove the stem?
That would probably put too much torque on the strummel and break it - better to remove the mortis insert from the stem first.

Reactions: UB 40 and peteguy

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
It's part of the stem. I suppose you'd call it the tenon with #2 (which is usually stuck in the pipe) being the mortise?

Normally #1 should go flush in to #2.
Put the stem and mortise insert in the freezer for an hour or so. Then remove the stem from the mortise insert. If necessary, wrap the mortise insert in several layers of masking tape and use a pair of pliers. When you get them separated hit me back... (or if not, hit me back and we'll go to plan B)

Reactions: Browny and peteguy

perseus

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Contact The Danish Pipe Shop. Tom Eltang is one of the owners.
They have an excellent repair department.
Be sure to send them photos as well.

Good luck with your pipe.
And let us know the end result.
Thanks, that sounds like a better option that sending it to the US. If I could keep it in the UK that would be even better, so if anyone knows of someone able to service it, it'd be great to hear.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thanks, that sounds like a better option that sending it to the US. If I could keep it in the UK that would be even better, so if anyone knows of someone able to service it, it'd be great to hear.
You could try contacting Dean of The Estate Pipe Shop.
His website state that he does repairs.
I have not used him for repairs, but have bought a couple of estate pipes from him. They were very well presented.

Mike Billington of Blakemar pipes also used to do repairs. I'm not sure if he still does them.
I tried to contact him recently, but he did not reply to my emails.

perseus

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
You could try contacting Dean of The Estate Pipe Shop.
His website state that he does repairs.
I have not used him for repairs, but have bought a couple of estate pipes from him. They were very well presented.

Mike Billington of Blakemar pipes also used to do repairs. I'm not sure if he still does them.
I tried to contact him recently, but he did not reply to my emails.
Great, thanks.

Reactions: OzPiper

perseus

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Put the stem and mortise insert in the freezer for an hour or so. Then remove the stem from the mortise insert. If necessary, wrap the mortise insert in several layers of masking tape and use a pair of pliers. When you get them separated hit me back... (or if not, hit me back and we'll go to plan B)
Wondering if you're still willing to share any ideas you have for the next step?

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Wondering if you're still willing to share any ideas you have for the next step?
At this point, you need to thoroughly clean the stem. tenon, and mortise adaptor. Polish the tenon and the interior of the mortise adaptor with something like a ScotchBrite (tm) pad. Then use an ordinary pencil to "color" the entirety of the tenon (it's graphite) - gently test-fit as you go. When the fit is right, the mortise adaptor needs to be installed back in the strummel - hopefully, there will be enough friction to keep it in when the stem is removed - if not, you might try some Teflon (tm) tape or an adhesive (I would suggest water soluble so the adaptor could removed in the future by soaking the strummel) You're on the home stretch...