PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Title edited for caps. Please see rule 9!

Are all Meerschaums created equal? Or are some Meerschaums created more equal?
I have never really been drawn to Meerschaum pipes, I don't get the fascination. Until now! What is a good Meerschaum to own and why?
Your opinions greatly received.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: captainsousie

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
When it came to meers I was hesitant, then curious, then I got into the ravenous internet research phase (a lot of that was on this forum, naturally)... I decided to get a pipe from a reputable maker rather than chance it with a...value brand. I settled on an Altinay, have not looked back since...I picked up two more over the past couple years as well (an IMP and a Rattray's White Goddess).

I feel like meers provide a flavorful, dry smoke - your tongue will be worn out for the day far before the pipe. The coloring process is also fun - definitely a 'long game'.

In my opinion, I can't recommend them enough - but I think it's worth going with a reputable maker. Cheers!

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Are all Meerschaums created equal?
Obviously not.

Or are some Meerschaums created more equal?
??

If I'm fondling a meer in a shop, I'm checking the heft and the workman ship, fit and finish as it were. Purely anecdotal but, I feel light weight indicates more porosity. For me the lighter the pipe the more porous it is. I stress, this is a personal observation based only on m
my experience.

Mine are all CAO's with only a couple "signed." I haven't found a pipe, in shop, to buy in nearly twenty years. So, I'm unwilling to address the newer brands and quality thereof.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like the look and feel of them bit notice no difference in smoking between them and briar. With the recent price jump on them though, I'll not but another one.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have an Altinay, SRV and IMP. All are very nice Meers, all smoke very good. It's a shame the Meer carvers don't put much effort into the stems and drilling such as a good briar Artisan does or I think you'd see a significantly larger percentage of Meers being smoked. Regardless, I believe any serious smoker would be well served to have at least one Meer in their rotation.

Aug 1, 2012
Title edited for caps. Please see rule 9!

Are all Meerschaums created equal? Or are some Meerschaums created more equal?
I have never really been drawn to Meerschaum pipes, I don't get the fascination. Until now! What is a good Meerschaum to own and why?
Your opinions greatly received.
Trigger Warning: This post contains broad generalizations which are often proven false when scrutinized.

First off, I love the reference to Animal Farm in this context.

Second, there's three general types of meerschaum. African, Turkish and pressed. African meer is no longer mined (as far as I know) and is often found in older British/Irish/Isle Of Man brands like Manx, Barling and Peterson (exceptions occur for the last 2). There are other brands from around the world like much of the Pioneer offerings and Tanganyika stuff. I'll see if I can get around to posting one of the latter. It's harder, more resistant to coloring and is often heavier. Pressed meer is basically meerschaum dust that is pressed together, often with binders, and is common in some older American and Austrian products. Turkish is the one that most prefer and consider to be superior. It is still mined to this day in places like Eskisehir and has differing qualities and grades which are often not disclosed or are *ahem* made up. Some will legitimately disclose the quality though. It is not currently legal to export uncarved meerschaum from Turkey as far as I am aware.

Third, there are some much beloved and much reviled vendors of Turkish Meerschaum. It's a bit of a minefield to figure out which are the "good" ones and which are the "bad" ones so you basically have to go with word of mouth from someone you trust or with a larger retailer. Estate meers, like estate pipes are a bit of a mixed bag.

It's a deep subject but worth a bit of a dive to learn more about it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
As mentioned in one of the earlier posts there are African, Turkish and pressed meers.

Turkish meers are graded. The colouration process depends on the type, source and grading.
Different meers vary in density (if weight is a factor for you).
But even African meers which is the densest is lighter than an equivalent sized briar generally (there are briars that are featherweight)

Then there are artisanal meers or ones made/carved by apprentices or unknown carvers (which may be perfectly sound). Prices can vary quite a bit.

The big issues as I see it are the airways and the quality of the stem/button.
Use of screw-in tenons can result in a restricted draw.
I gave away a Turkish meer because of this problem.

If you have an itch, scratch it ?

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I like the look of some of them when new.
When they colour I am not so sure. To me a coloured meer looks like its full of undesirables. Like a used filter.
But I don't smoke so my opinion is probably wrong in this case.
Ignore me.

• Sad
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I like the look of some of them when new.
When they colour I am not so sure. To me a coloured meer looks like its full of undesirables. Like a used filter.
But I don't smoke so my opinion is probably wrong in this case.
Ignore me.
an opinion on taste really can't be wrong. It can be unpopular or ridiculed but not wrong.