PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I like the look of some of them when new.
When they colour I am not so sure. To me a coloured meer looks like its full of undesirables. Like a used filter.
But I don't smoke so my opinion is probably wrong in this case.
Ignore me.
You're not wrong to think of it this way in my opinion. Same with cobs. They're both very absorbent which makes them smoke nice and dry. Maybe we could have a long drawn out discussion on whether or not smoking cobs and meers over a long period of time is similar to smoking out of a dirty sponge.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If you after real meerschaum you have to get one from a reputable source. Then the problem is actually smoking it to see if you enjoy it. If you do great if not well it was a life lesson that you didn't spend a lot of money on learning.

sduskun

Lurker
Dec 5, 2019
If you after real meerschaum you have to get one from a reputable source. Then the problem is actually smoking it to see if you enjoy it. If you do great if not well it was a life lesson that you didn't spend a lot of money on learning.
If you buy a meerschaum from Turkey it doesn't have to be a reputable source. Just craftsmanship differs in details nothing else than that. They all come from almost same mines. And they all have same making procedures. I'm talking about the pipes being exported. The ones in lower quality are sold domestically. For example look for turmeermar on etsy. Not reputable but feedbacks don't lie.

Reactions: anotherbob

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
I've seen posts where people don't like the screw-in tenons on meers, but man, I have had the exact opposite experience. I have two push-in meers that are WAY worse than my screw-in, with the stem hole being so dang small it's an effort to draw with no tobacco even in the thing. So take your time and look hard at the pictures. If you get a good one, they are so worth it. A dry smoke every time. It's hard to see, but the one on the right is a screw-in, and you can see that the airway is 4 times bigger than the tiny on on the left. I don't even smoke that left one anymore, as it's just too much of an effort.

Attachments

• Meers.jpg
    Meers.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: yanoJL and jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
the one on the right is a screw-in, and you can see that the airway is 4 times bigger than the tiny on on the left.
They're both screw in, the stems are the same type. The cap on the mortise insert on the left one is broken off an needs replacing, and you've removed the mortise insert with the stem on the right one. You're removing the insert with the stem on the one on the right, that not the tenon. The inserts are supposed to remain in the pipe and frequent removal of them can damage the threads in the meerschaum. I'm guessing you've removed the stem by turning it counterclockwise.

Stem with insert attached.
20220807_122641.jpg

Stem without insert attached.
20220807_122828.jpg

Here's something similar to what you've got on the left.
20220807_123843.jpg

The insert cap has broken off and is lodged inside of the stem.
20220807_124133.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
They're both screw in, the stems are the same type. The cap on the mortise insert on the left one is broken off an needs replacing, and you've removed the mortise insert with the stem on the right one. You're removing the insert with the stem on the one on the right, that not the tenon. The inserts are supposed to remain in the pipe and frequent removal of them can damage the threads in the meerschaum. I'm guessing you've removed the stem by turning it counterclockwise.

Stem with insert attached.
View attachment 161522

Stem without insert attached.
View attachment 161523

Here's something similar to what you've got on the left.
View attachment 161529

The insert cap has broken off and is lodged inside of the stem.
View attachment 161530

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
Right you are, sir. I don't really mind that the cap is broken on the one - it doesn't affect anything. The other one is just very tight, so it doesn't want to come out, so I "unscrew" it out, and the whole tenon unscrews, which I didn't realize. However, the one on the right still smokes twice as good as the left one, and I can see that the air passage is slightly bigger. So, I guess my point is actually that not all screw-ins are the same.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Right you are, sir. I don't really mind that the cap is broken on the one - it doesn't affect anything. The other one is just very tight, so it doesn't want to come out, so I "unscrew" it out, and the whole tenon unscrews, which I didn't realize. However, the one on the right still smokes twice as good as the left one, and I can see that the air passage is slightly bigger. So, I guess my point is actually that not all screw-ins are the same.
You're one with the better airflow likely has a larger bored draft hole in the meerschaum itself. Those without the screw in inserts have wide open airflow from chamber to stem.

20220415_183602.jpg

Reactions: edger