PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
How thick should the heel be, to prevent burn through at the bottom of the chamber?
I've read somewhere that Sixten Ivarsson said it should be at least 5 mm thick.
Is this a concern for you?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Yes in the sense that I find pipes with 7mm or less get too\ hot to hold. My Peterson Pub has 12mm. I prefer 9mm or greater. I do have some pipes with less but I tend to add 2mm pipe mud or let cake build up.

Reactions: autumnfog

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I received an old estate with over-reamed walls and a thin heel which I decided to keep because I liked its looks.
IMG_2013.jpeg
Built up the walls and heel with JB Weld followed by a few layers of pipe mud. And allowed to dry for a couple of weeks

In the above photo the JB Weld is just visible inside the bowl - prior to application of pipe-mud

It has smoked fine since
I must qualify this by adding that I fill the base with a few meer chips or Nording Keystones with most smokes

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't have any measurements to add. But I figure that when you're close to the heel, it's the relights that pose the biggest danger to the wood. So I do very quick applications of the flame at that point, and if it doesn't relight right away, I'll empty out ash and check if there's any tobacco left before trying again. I also like to tamp in a manner to pile up the remaining material against the draft hole so it's always got a little protection.

Last edited: