PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Have any of you tried one of these? I'd be interested to know how it's treating you. Specifically, if the stem is holding tastes you can't get rid of with a normal cleaning. I like the looks because I like old looking shit like this. I smoke the cobs frequently, but I haven't pulled the trigger on one of these yet. Thanks for your assistance!

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Are you talking about Old Dominion line of pipes? With the thin, round reed as a stem? — I have one. If you clench you might not like one of these. They’ll take a pipe cleaner. No taste imparted, but the feel in teeth takes some getting used to.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Reactions: kcghost

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
No experience with bamboo stemmed MM...But love theirs Charles Towne acrylic stemmed corn cob...Smoked it on my adventures out west when driving several times a day for 2+ months and it is great tasting pipe ....cake was quite thick had to ream it here and there but love the balance for clenching and the stem..feels like a regular pipe ...not a favorite of their cheap stems

Strandsbeachlocal

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2021
Washington,USA
Decent pipe, I like the stem more so than the plastic ones. Different for clenching and has almost cause me to dump the pipe before becoming accustom to the round stem. Draw is not quite as open as some other MM (country gent) in my opinion. Recommend the Virginia planter for a semi quick smoke but still room enough. Doesn’t beat briar in any way but decent pipe for yard work.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Personally they're my go to cob. I like how they smoke better then the other ones. They're easy to clench once you get past how counter intuitive the way to do it is. The bamboo kind of sticks to your teeth with just a touch of pressure. Like just let it touch. I think they're great. But they're not everyones cup of tea. Also love the way they look. Get one they're cheap so why even bother wondering when a few bucks will answer the question.

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
They are nice pipes. I have 5 I bought from Old Dominion several years ago, and they've held up since then. Natural finish, no varnish on them. Although I don't know if MM does them the same, without varnish that is.
I just picked up one of these and wanted to know if you can clean the bamboo stem with alcohol once in a while? (Everclear)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just picked up one of these and wanted to know if you can clean the bamboo stem with alcohol once in a while? (Everclear)
honestly doesn't seem to need any more cleaning then running a pipe cleaner through it. I noticed the cob changes colors and absorbs stuff the stem doesn't seem to do much of that. I could be wrong but I my experience says you don't need to do it. I also have cleaned it with alcohol and it doesn't seem to have an deleterious effect.

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
honestly doesn't seem to need any more cleaning then running a pipe cleaner through it. I noticed the cob changes colors and absorbs stuff the stem doesn't seem to do much of that. I could be wrong but I my experience says you don't need to do it. I also have cleaned it with alcohol and it doesn't seem to have an deleterious effect.
Thanks for the info. ? I just wasn't sure if it was ok to run a cleaner dipped in alcohol every once in a while through the bamboo. I was thinking along the lines of acrylic or vulcanite stem maintenance.

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
Have any of you tried one of these? I'd be interested to know how it's treating you. Specifically, if the stem is holding tastes you can't get rid of with a normal cleaning. I like the looks because I like old looking shit like this. I smoke the cobs frequently, but I haven't pulled the trigger on one of these yet. Thanks for your assistance!

My favourite cobs

Virginia Planter and Laughing King if you like big bowl depth

Shenandoah and Chesapeake for shorter smokes

I recommend ordering several (one of each!), as the draw varies somewhat from pipe to pipe with these organic material stems

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
At the Missouri Meerschaum factory in Washington Missouri they have exhibits dating back over 150 years.

Any history lover, especially a pipe smoking history lover, needs to put a visit to Washington on their bucket list.

One of the exhibits in the old brick factory there still producing the only good cob pipe in the world today, is a fascinating series of letters between the owner of MM and a Missouri Senator who managed to get bamboo imported from communist China on the “free list”.

This was after China became Communist and before Nixon visited China.

The bamboo they used only grew in one spot in China along a certain river. It was referred to as Whangee bamboo.

The only domestic substitute for it was some inferior bamboo not worth harvesting in Louisiana.

Since there was no domestic source, the good Senator won MM a duty free pass to trade with China.

I’ve often wondered if that’s still on the free list.

I bought a pipe at MM with a genuine Chinese bamboo shank about 1999 or thereabouts. It was old stock, then.