My Collection of Sheffield Pocket Knives Just Grew Another Branch.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As a proud Sheffielder who had many ancestors who were involved in the cutlery trades for which Sheffield is well known, I have over the years collected pen and pocket knives from my hometown. I never paid a huge amount for them unless they had a family name on them (Oldale, Trickett, Ellin, Barber etc) then I would pay more.

Since I've become housebound this particular collection has been pretty stagnant as I used to pick them up at boot sales and flea markets and not going out means no more pen & pocket knives.

That was until 2 weeks ago. I was doing some more work on my family tree when I came across a distant relative who on the 1881 census listed his occupation as 'bayonet finisher at Sanderson's Ltd'. This guy had been a pen & pocket knife maker all his life but in his declining years he was finishing bayonets as I suspect a sinecure for a once proud man

Anyway, this had me thinking it would be grand to have a bayonet or two in my collection so I started hunting.

Long story short, I ended up buying a Pattern 1888 Mk I bayonet made by Sanderson's. It is date stamped Nov 1894 and is an absolute corker. Quite short for a bayonet and made in the style of a Roman sword with a double edged blade with spear point. It has the UK government crow's foot, stamped with an X meaning it passed the bend test and a VR for queen Victoria.

blade 1.jpg

blade 3.jpg

I then purchased a Pattern 1913 made by Remington in September 1917. This is unusual inasmuch as it was originally made for the British army under licence but when the US joined the war they needed them for their own troops. which is why this particular blade has the UK marks crossed through and a bold U.S. stamped on the ricasso with various other marks.

This blade has been Parkerized (dipped in phosphoric acid I think) to dull the surface. It's quite a whopper and is actually a sword bayonet. It has a wooden scabbard with a very neatly sewn leather covering.

P1090762.JPG

P1090772.JPG
I wrongly assumed the two notches carved into the scales were evidence that it had been used at least twice but not so.

So far so good.....but I didn't stop there, I then ordered a couple of swords :oops: .

The first is an 1897 Officer's sword made by Fenton Brothers of Sheffield January 1915. It has a 32 1/2 " blade and the grip is wrapped in shagreen with neatly twisted copper wires. It has the royal cypher of King George V.

blade 1.JPG

blade 7.JPG
blade 8.JPG

This was promptly followed by a sword from 1822-1830 (the reign of George IV). Apparently it's an infantry officer's sword with pipe back and quill tip. The blade has some stunning acid etching on it which has suffered by being polished by some twerp in the past but it's still visible. Alas this one came sans scabbard. Again, shagreen & copper wire decorate the handle. Considering it's 200 years old it's in remarkable condition.

blade 2.JPG

blade 3.JPG

I'll post the other two bayonets later......I need a cuppa right now :)

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The other two bayonets are thus.

A Pattern 1907 sword bayonet made by Sanderson's of Sheffield in March 1916, clearly for use in WWI. This would have attached to the Lee Enfield rifle that was in use for decades.

Amongst the usual stamps on the ricasso are indications that it was refurbished and re-issued in 1927 so clearly used in the inter war years. This pattern of bayonet was also used in the desert campaigns of WWII so clearly it was a well designed piece of kit. It comes with a really good leather scabbard.

blade 2.jpg
blade 5.jpg
blade 8.jpg

Finally I have a much more recent blade, more knife than bayonet but it is a bayonet, used by NATO forces on their self loading rifles.

It's a Pattern L1A3 made by the Enfield Armoury. These were made from the late 50's well into the 60's but this is an early model as after about 1962 the fullers were much shortened.

Inside the steel scabbard there is a powerful spring that means the blade has to be yanked out with some effort and really thrust back in. A safety measure I believe. Blade length is a smidge under 8".

blade 2.jpg
blade 6.jpg

blade 9.jpg

blade 8.jpg

Hope you enjoyed.

Jay.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Hi Jay, I enjoyed is an understatement, thank you for sharing. I love the old bladed weaponry.
Unfortunately Trevor Ablett is no longer with us, I now contemplate having a Barlow knife made by Michael May.
What say you ?

Cheers,
Roland

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I now contemplate having a Barlow knife made by Michael May.
What say you ?
The thing with modern blades is they tend to be made of stainless steel which in my opinion is not the correct steel for hunting or military knives, they were typically made from high carbon crucible steel. Stainless is good for kitchen knives but not much else in my view.

I watched a guy on Youtube make a lovely hunting/bowie blade from old leaf springs taken from a long defunct wagon!

If you do have one made then please do show it here.

One of my ancestors was Thomas Ellin and his company sent bowie knives by the many thousands to America & Canada back in the 1800's but I can't locate one for love nor money.

Jay.