PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
We all have our pipes, and I have more than my share.

I doubt even half of my stash of pipes are Lees, but I’m working on it.:)

I know what my very best pipe is, of very many. It’s a huge, ugly Preben Holm Danish Freehand.

But I have this twenty year old can of McBaren’s Virginia No. 1.

It will bite a Pit Bull, if you’ll let it.

There is a discussion here about the root cause of tongue bite, and I got to ruminating over what my easiest smoking pipe might be.

So I dug out a large, very hard grained, 9mm filter Dansk Club volcano with a wide and deep slot in the bit. I’m smoking Virginia No 1 and it’s mild as a filtered Pall Mall cigarette, and no tastier, either.

578AEEFF-9D3B-40D4-8467-5577B9E88D79.jpegEAAFFE97-FC4A-4980-AAB6-AE316786C465.jpeg51CE02F3-0F0E-46FA-84D9-04E5E01B8948.jpeg

What is your easiest smoking pipe?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have around ninety pipes, bought one at a time, and i've culled the herd about four or five times, donating pipes to active duty service people, giving a few to friends, trading some for store credit at SP, so most of those left come in as easy smoking. I can't single out a few, and certainly not one.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
You just can't make up your mind on what your best pipe is can you @Briar Lee ?!? Hahaha it's ok, I know even for me it's hard to choose.

But I will say, my EASIEST smoking pipes are my cobs. No thinking involved. Light, puff, done. They are the ones when I want something, quick, and thoughtless. Similar to smoking a cigarette.
I have two huge MM Freehand cobs and one large EA Carey Freehand.

It’s the 9mm filter that smooths out Virginia No 1 better, on my Dansk Club.

The key to an easy smoker is:

Size- bigger the better

Filter-more the better

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Almost every American artisan pipe I own smokes itself. Their design of the stem and the dimensions of the shank are a big part of the equation. I don't know many of the technical terms for why my pipes smoke like they do but I stick to artisans who know what they are doing. I have been told about the technical aspects of pipe making but I cannot remember anything specific. All I know is how they smoke and after that I don't pay too much attention.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I thought it would have been a five star, or as we Lee fans call them: 5sters or 5s.
My one Five Star is a very cool smoker, not particularly a tasty one.

C0D72FCC-34F9-4D82-85B5-13C9037FCB73.jpegBy the way, look how dark a brand new unsmoked natural finish Lee Five Star was.

A 5 point star Five Star is likely the pinnacle of Lee quality.

Why?

Because Lee had been established for over five years.

By then he had better briar, and his men were better at it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My one Five Star is a very cool smoker, not particularly a tasty one.

View attachment 161577By the way, look how dark a brand new unsmoked natural finish Lee Five Star was.

A 5 point star Five Star is likely the pinnacle of Lee quality.

Why?

Because Lee had been established for over five years.

By then he had better briar, and his men were better at it.
That 5ster is unsmoked?? ?
Either way, nice grain!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That 5ster is unsmoked?? ?
Either way, nice grain!
Was unsmoked.

I still have the box and sleeve it came in.

I paid $85 delivered in an eBay auction maybe five years ago for it.

The day it came in I took a NOS pipe and put it into limited service.

I smoke it only in the office, never more than one day per month, and I’ve never put a drop of oil on it.

Actually it’s sort of disappointing.

I have many prettier Three Stars, at arm’s length.

It’s hard to tell in photos but it’s a perfect flame grain. Since it’s a natural that piece came out of the ground with perfect little flames covering 100% of the stummel.

The outside just simply never, gets hot.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I think all my pipes that work properly are easy smokers.. There are a couple I need to give up on and chunk in the trash, and a few that I already have.

I think good working pipe A, and good working pipe B will always smoke equally well.

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
I think my easiest smoker would have to be a MM legend. Easy to pack, never finicky about a light, easy to clench, etc. My first multi pipe purchase was a set of twins to rotate during my workday.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
My savinelli ONE 106 straight billiard.

Far from fancy, not even close to a punto oro or even a higher line collection.

Sold by savinelli to be your first pipe.

I like to call it my Italian Grabow ?

Reactions: didimauw

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't fetishize about burning a chamber full to white (or gray) ash, but I experience this most often with MM cobs. Ordinarily, I smoke a bowl until it doesn't taste good and then dump it. Usually nearly all of the tobacco is burnt, with maybe five or six pieces of dottle (unburnt tobacco). With MM cobs, frequently the ash is almost at the bottom of the chamber, and suddenly it won't relight. When I scoop it out, the ash is entirely powder. And the taste has been first rate all the way. Now that is easy smoking.

Reactions: didimauw