PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I got an LJ Peretti pipe in an Ebay estate lot. I like the feel and the long shank. It had a broken stem and a lot of fills. I set out to make it with the longest replacement stem I could find which I sanded down and shaped by hand. I improvised a tenon from a nylon spacer, and rusticated it with a Dremmel tool. Here is the pipe as I got it:
Perettipretop1.jpg

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
And current state:
I love unfinished pipes and am considering leaving it here. It smokes great and is 8.5" long It is awesome. It is more reddish than the picture shows.
PipeRebuild.jpg

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Tell me what you think and make suggestions. Do you like it unfinished too, or do you think I should stain and wax it?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I like it unfinished, too.
The one suggestion I'd make is to sand/polish the rim so it's smooth. Smooth rims are SO much easier to keep clean, but that's just a cosmetic thing.
Did you cut down the shank? I can't quite tell. Regardless it looks GREAT with the longer stem.
A+

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I'm also partial to natural colors.

Did you do some form of a rustication on that? It almost looks as such in the pics.

It'll darken some with the application of wax and from there with use so I'd say go for it as is.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Yes OTD, I took the original finish off with a Dremel tool. Fisher, I have used olive oil and Caranuba wax on all of my black walnut pipes. My current plan is to just let the oils from holding it take their course. If I dont like it after a few months, I can oil it or stain it. I like smoking my projects between steps!
The best thing about this pipe is the length. I am a big guy (6"4" 300lbs) so I need a big pipe to look and feel right.
Your input is great! Keep it coming!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice job!! I'd apply some Halcyon II. Canuba applied with a wheel has a tendency to build up in the low spots and doesn't look good to me. I apply the Halcyon with a tiny brush and then "buff" it with a soft toothbrush. May take a couple coats or so to get a nice shine on a freshly rusticated pipe.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
That looks nice, I would oil it as well, or, let your hands do it for you, if you make this your working pipe for a couple onths, then youll get some good lookin paw prints where you hold it.
Personally i love pipes with that kind of personality

Status
Not open for further replies.