PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have recently returned to FL from a trip/vacation to Riga, Latvia. Latvia is a beautiful NE European nation and is a great and economic place for pastries, coffee, and food in general. Smoking in Latvia produces a very interesting dichotomy. Latvia has the fourth highest smoking rate in Europe but, smoking is not particularly easy or welcomed. Without getting too deep in the weeds of the laws, smoking in public is generally illegal (including parks, restaurants, and within 10m of any business). The prohibitions extend to home balconies and common area halls and stairwells. Basically, it is allowed in your home and at a few designated/sequestered areas at cigar/club venues. Buying pipes or tobacco is a chore that, requires a dedicated pursuit.

I saw a couple of pipes in ”tobacco“ shop windows and went in for a look. I did not see any tobacco so, I asked t.he proprietor if any was sold. He proceeded to remove the tarp from a covered glass showcase where there was, possibly, a dozen tins and maybe 20 pouches of “pipe” tobacco. I believe there is little care (and less knowledge) about the products of this genre. I found nothing that I would purchase. The ’best” they had were a couple of (what I would consider) the least desirable Peterson tins.

I found approximately the same routine at a “tobacco” kiosk at a major mall. The best pipes that were offered were Chacoms listed at twice the price that they could be found on a U.S. website.

Strangely, multiple bongs and cannabis paraphernalia were openly displayed at these and other retailers.
This is despite the fact that, Latvian laws prohibit cannabis and (supposedly) 80% of the population supports prohibition :oops:

I did not feel comfortable taking any pictures at these retailers. Pipe tobacco seemed like a secret that no one wanted to admit existed.

Now, for something truly strange. My wife and I’s current plan is to relocate to Riga upon my retirement next spring. FL is too hot for my wife and Russia is too cold (in multiple ways) for me so, this is our wonderful compromise. Unfortunately, it looks like this will probably limit my tobacco consumption and I surely can’t take my immense cellar halfway across the globe. I plan on listing some rarities, hard to finds, one-offs, and (hopefully, for those interested) some stout bargains in the FS thread and on some of our advertisers sites over the next year. So, interested parties should be on the lookout. IMG_3713.jpegIMG_1841.jpegIMG_3828.jpegIMG_1776.jpegIMG_1820.jpeg

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
What are their import laws, might be worth checking, you could have someone hold a chunk of your cellar and slow ship things over to you, beats the hell out of smoking tin after tin of peterson's.
I plan to squirrel away what I can. I have well over 400 different blends in various quantities. If is a bit much for my remaining years here let alone under the circumstances. My loss will be some of my fellow forum members gains.
I also have about 100 pipes that I probably will reduce to a dozen. Not going to be easy…

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I assume you and your wife speak Latvian. It was rather grossly unfair of you to compare their B&M store prices to our on-line stores. It's a true apples and oranges scenario. Any enjoy your retirement when you do and prey the Bear doesn't get a taste for more food.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I assume you and your wife speak Latvian. It was rather grossly unfair of you to compare their B&M store prices to our on-line stores. It's a true apples and oranges scenario. Any enjoy your retirement when you do and prey the Bear doesn't get a taste for more food.
English and Russian are pretty freely spoken and we plan to learn Latvian. I had no communication difficulties. Latvia is now part of NATO so, if the Bear gets hungry the whole world might get devoured.

Reactions: kcghost and edger

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Never seen anything from Latvia before so thanks for showing us your photos. I believe Russia has or had quite a healthy selection of pipe tobacco available. Wether you'd be able to access it or not, I don't know.

Best of luck to you and your wife on the move! 👍

Reactions: dcon

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm fond of smoked sprats from Latvia.
Riga-Gold-Smoked-Sprats-in-Olive-Oil-270g-0-6-lb_978590fa-c0cc-4069-b950-1ee0169b2b14.ddcd0062fdf80fd8124d34aea06da0fb.jpeg

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Never seen anything from Latvia before so thanks for showing us your photos. I believe Russia has or had quite a healthy selection of pipe tobacco available. Wether you'd be able to access it or not, I don't know.

Best of luck to you and your wife on the move! 👍
Moscow and St.Petersburg both have a couple of nice shops (or did, pre-sanctions). Latvia is, by very nature publicly pro-Ukraine so, very little trade is going through and the sanctions negate credit card use. My wife will be in Russia in about 3 weeks for the summer.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Reactions: simong

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Dunno much about Latvia, I am guessing it's a fairly poor country with probably very nice people, young population (whoever hasn't left as it's happened across Eastern Europe and Balkans) and positive economic outlook.

If it doesn't specifically have to be Latvia, would you look at other places nearby like Lithuania and Estonia? Or for more robust European countries (if with questionable politics lately) Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic. Romania, Bulgaria are also growing like crazy. These are all great up and coming countries with a young, well-educated population and some of the most dynamic and eager people I've met the last 15 or so years. The catch may be they often say a similar story "the good ones (ie them!) have gone abroad and not planning to come back until they are 1000% safe financially (ie like me, who moved from Greece to Switzerland), what's left behind is questionable".

Reactions: dcon

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Dunno much about Latvia, I am guessing it's a fairly poor country with probably very nice people, young population (whoever hasn't left as it's happened across Eastern Europe and Balkans) and positive economic outlook.

If it doesn't specifically have to be Latvia, would you look at other places nearby like Lithuania and Estonia? Or for more robust European countries (if with questionable politics lately) Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic. Romania, Bulgaria are also growing like crazy. These are all great up and coming countries with a young, well-educated population and some of the most dynamic and eager people I've met the last 15 or so years. The catch may be they often say a similar story "the good ones (ie them!) have gone abroad and not planning to come back until they are 1000% safe financially (ie like me, who moved from Greece to Switzerland), what's left behind is questionable".
It is typical of most of the Balkans. All of the young want out for greater opportunity. I’m old so none of that applies to me and they have a great program to encourage retirees to move there. It is quaint and checks the right boxes for us.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It is typical of most of the Balkans. All of the young want out for greater opportunity. I’m old so none of that applies to me and they have a great program to encourage retirees to move there. It is quaint and checks the right boxes for us.
Wouldn’t consider Latvian a Balkan country, more like Baltic.

Do they encourage foreign people to retire there? Greece has a “Brain reGain” program to entice Greeks who left to come back, if one has been abroad for 3+ years and they resettle in Greece I think their tax bill is cut in half for 3 or 5 years. Fairly tempting but not sure it has many takers. People who left Greece in the 1900s to 1950s were dirt poor, uneducated, some were victims of political persecution. The 2010-today’s batch of emigrants tend to be skilled and middle class and not keen on anything to do with the state, the bonkers politics (left and right), the incompetence, the corruption, the nepotism. Just want to be in a place we can plan ahead and get to work!

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
My typo on Baltic, I was just discussing Balkan tobaccos in another thread. Latvia has a flat population growth. They are encouraging pensioners and anyone who might stay and spend money. Obviously they would prefer wealthy investors and younger folks who wish to stay You have to reverse trends any way you can.