PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
image.jpg
I just acquired another estate pipe. Got it cleaned up, looks kinda good. I’m pretty sure this is the largest pipe I own. Do you find that some blends or types of tobacco lend themselves to a large pipe more than others? If so, please enlighten me a bit.

I know that you can smoke anything you would like out of any pipe you want, but I am curious to hear opinions on the things that smoke well in a large pipe. The only think I can say is that it is unlikely I will smoke flakes out of this. I just don’t have the four hours to do it. image.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find a wider diameter chamber favors more complex blends in some cases, to get more of the four or more tobaccos burning at once in appropriate proportion. They are also good longer of smokes of single leaf or simpler blends. But I find that each pipe has different "preferences," so you should try many and various blends or single leaf and be surprised.

Reactions: Ryan and LotusEater

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
What tobaccos do you currently have on hand to choose from?
Too many to list, but I should have mentioned English blends are not doing anything for me currently. Unfortunately, those are about one third of what I have on hand. I might get motivated here in a few and put up a short list of what I have on hand. I hate typing that much on my phone though, so it will have to wait until I’m back in front of my computer.

That said, I’d accept recommendations about new ones I might acquire. I’ll be doing an online order this week most likely.

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Most likely I will smoke H&H Burley Kake for the first run, because I like it so well and it isn’t a flake. I’m just interested to hear how others use a pipe like this.

I don’t usually go for a big pipe, but I liked the shape and price and I thought I ought to have one big one. It really stands out in my collection.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Jwebb90

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just fishing for general ideas on how people make use of big pipes.
I just smoke them. The average depth of all of mine is around 2 inches. Smoke it all in one sitting or smoke it on and off throughout the day with no need of refills.?

Reactions: Ryan

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I just smoke them. The average depth of all of mine is around 2 inches. Smoke it all in one sitting or smoke it on and off throughout the day with no need of refills.?
You are only smoking your pipes? I use mine to do my taxes, mow my lawn, clean the kitchen and a number of other tasks. You might not be getting the most out of your pipes!

• Haha
Reactions: PeterPipersPizza

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You might not be getting the most out of your pipes!
I'm never seated when smoking. Most of my smoking is done when at work as I'm on a 7/12 shift. I can have a single pipe going for three hours while figuring out efficiency time studies or leave it at my desk when needed in area that have flammable materials. Decades ago I realized that I didn't much care for constantly repacking a pipe and gravitated to large ones. I'm just in it for the nicotine and the more efficient the tool to deliver it, the better.

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I'm never seated when smoking. Most of my smoking is done when at work as I'm on a 7/12 shift. I can have a single pipe going for three hours while figuring out efficiency time studies or leave it at my desk when needed in area that have flammable materials. Decades ago I realized that I didn't much care for constantly repacking a pipe and gravitated to large ones. I'm just in it for the nicotine and the more efficient the tool to deliver it, the better.
I was trying to joke about using my pipe as a tool, after I wrote it I see it sounded like I have a pipe in my mouth a lot while doing tasks. I don't. I wouldn't seriously tell someone they aren't getting the most of anything.

In reality, I hate clenching the pipe so I am almost always seated and doing nothing when I smoke. It sounds like my situation is almost the opposite of yours. I work a pretty normal schedule but never smoke at work. Most of my smoking is at home watching movies and television. Because I do it in idle time, I enjoy smoking smaller bowls and smoking a couple different tobaccos each night.

As far as efficient tools, have you ever tried (nasal) snuff? That is an efficient nicotine delivery system!

Well, I have my tobacco dry, I'm going to quit talking about it and start smoking this large pipe! Burley Kake ended up being the answer. Happy smoking to all!