PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
It is a bit different, but not night and day. Probably just the difference between two pipes regardless of size. The stuff doesn't seem quite as sweet as it usually does. I don't know that pipe size has anything to do with it, I am inclined to think that it is just different pipes tasting a bit different. I am only about halfway into this bowl right now, so far so good.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Did your large pipe had any smell or ghost?I usualy smoke the similar tobacco group in estate pipe if I can smell it there...I love latakia balkan blends ,english blends so I dedicated my house pipe and larger pipes to those tobaccos and it works all right...I would not smoke aromatics in large pipe as this...simply because would be too much moisture and aromatic taste which i do not prefer for long time...I also put easier burning tobacco in my larger pipes so I do not have to relight so often...Flakes you have to relight often and is not a pleasant thing to do in tall large pipe

Reactions: Paul 3.0

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would not smoke aromatics in large pipe as this...simply because would be too much moisture
The great thing about aromatics in a large pipe is more freedom to pack them extremely light. This allows more oxygen to aid the ember in burning off the moisture and providing a dry smoke.

Flakes you have to relight often
Never experienced that. Usually flakes burn better than any other cut.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
The great thing about aromatics in a large pipe is more freedom to pack them extremely light. This allows more oxygen to aid the ember in burning off the moisture and providing a dry smoke.

Never experienced that. Usually flakes burn better than any other cut.
I got several flakes lately that do not burn good like older S Gawith flakes of any kind...Yeah my old Dunhill flakes burn great..Old Dark Fired flakes I had problem to burn too

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Did your large pipe had any smell or ghost?I usualy smoke the similar tobacco group in estate pipe if I can smell it there...I love latakia balkan blends ,english blends so I dedicated my house pipe and larger pipes to those tobaccos and it works all right...I would not smoke aromatics in large pipe as this...simply because would be too much moisture and aromatic taste which i do not prefer for long time...I also put easier burning tobacco in my larger pipes so I do not have to relight so often...Flakes you have to relight often and is not a pleasant thing to do in tall large pipe
I had given the pipe a pretty thorough cleaning but I thought there may have still been a little flavor that came through from the pipe. I’ll smoke it out of there eventually.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I honestly envy you, brother. Feeling out your tastes in pipes and tobaccos is a great experience early on. I don’t consider big bowls to be different than small really. It’s more about proportion. Wider bowls smoke a bit cooler. I’d stick to ribbon cut or a cake with something bigger to make life easier. That SPC plum pudding your have would be great in it for me, but I really like plum pudding lol.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I'm about 95% certain Nightcap MUST be smoked in a large pipe unless you happen to have an empty whisk(e)y barrel dedicated to the blend.