PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear100

Lurker
Jan 7, 2022
South Wales UK
Hi chaps

My first pipe (very cheap) was bought from a little stall at the Great Dorset Steam Fair some time ago, i used it a couple of times and it sat around for 2 years or so, i have recently got into smoking the pipe properly this time and wanted something for the next level up.
So i have ordered a Savinelli Torttuga Rustic Bent Apple 626 and some Century VC tobacco.... looking forward to it arriving to say the least.
After reading through copious amounts of threads on here I'm now thinking i should "break in the pipe" some replies I've read say don't bother and some say its a must. So any advice welcome on yes or no, how to do it etc.

Just want to give myself the best start.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's my advice. Just fill your pipe with tobacco that's been dried enough so that it doesn't feel moist to the touch when squeezed, not so dry that it crumbles. Pack your pipe loose enough that it's easy to draw air. Fire up the tobacco, tamp lightly and fire up again and smoke.
Whether or not your pipe needs "breaking in" you still have to do the same thing. So do this.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
Congratulations on your new pipe! I just bought a Tortuga 628 a little over two weeks ago. I think you will be very pleased with yours. For me when breaking in a pipe, I fill it up and smoke it. I pay a bit more attention toward not letting it heat up too much but otherwise that's it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly just pack it and smoke it. Some like to pack a half chamber full for several smokes to make sure the lower half of the chamber gets a good carbon layer going, if you want to do something special. And don't puff it like a freight train, just sip, which is good technique any time. Just smoke a blend you enjoy. Other rituals are probably not needed, but if you want to do them, probably no harm done, to celebrate your new pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I got in a new pipe yesterday and here is my procedure.
I tear open the box. I get rid of all the bubble wrap. I wiped down the stem with some Grey Goose Vodka(I was out of Everclear); I dried the stem with a paper towel and then lit up the pipe. I completely filled it and smoked it to the bottom.

I had a naked bowl as that is what I told the artisan to give me. I hate bowl coatings. I smoked that puppy like I would any of my other pipes. When I was done smoking I let it cook, then cleaned it, put it in the cabinet and will smoke it again tomorrow. I always do this with a new pipe. I do the every other day things for a month or more and it has a nice hard cake as I only smoke Virginia flakes in it. Once I get a good feel for it, I might dedicate it for Vapers or Vaburs, time will tell.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The worst is when you do it under the influence of bourbon and things just show up in your mailbox unexpectedly ?
especially that time one member sent you a rabid weasel. That was messed up if you ask me.
Back to the OP well do whatever you feel comfortable with. My honest take is if you're newer it's worth doing the ritual of breaking it in. Not for the pipe but I think it will give you a better idea of how to smoke the pipe. But at the same time you'll be completely fine if you pack it and don't worry about breaking it in.
The thing is from my understanding that imperfection in briar used to be hard for suppliers to find so there was a very real chance of a pipe smoked normally without cake having an imperfection that causes burn out. That is my understanding might just be a myth.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
The worst is when you do it under the influence of bourbon and things just show up in your mailbox unexpectedly ?
It's really bad. No bourbon or alcohol of any sort and there's already one on the way. Contemplating another one...which leads to new pipes arriving, which leads to breaking it in while shopping on SmokingPipes, which leads to new pipes and on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.