PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goosetime

Might Stick Around
Jul 23, 2019
Kansas City, MO
especially that time one member sent you a rabid weasel. That was messed up if you ask me.
Back to the OP well do whatever you feel comfortable with. My honest take is if you're newer it's worth doing the ritual of breaking it in. Not for the pipe but I think it will give you a better idea of how to smoke the pipe. But at the same time you'll be completely fine if you pack it and don't worry about breaking it in.
The thing is from my understanding that imperfection in briar used to be hard for suppliers to find so there was a very real chance of a pipe smoked normally without cake having an imperfection that causes burn out. That is my understanding might just be a myth.
Someone sent a rabid weasel...?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I disagree. I find my pipes to remain sweeter and drier when I break them in with a few half bowls before filling them up. The key whatever one does is to smoke to the bottom on these first few pipefuls, which can be hard to do (especially in a new pipe) unless only filled halfway.
I have experienced minimal to no issues smoking to the bottom after filling up a new pipe. Cannot see why it would be any more difficult to do so with a new pipe vs a broken in pipe. Obviously, you're welcome to your opinion and to break in pipes the way you wish. I am curious though how filling the bowl up half way results in a pipe that is sweeter and drier? Perhaps you can enlighten me with some facts for how the new pipes I fill to the rim and smoke to the bottom will smoke sweeter and drier down the road than if I just filled them up halfway?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have experienced minimal to no issues smoking to the bottom after filling up a new pipe. Cannot see why it would be any more difficult to do so with a new pipe vs a broken in pipe. Obviously, you're welcome to your opinion and to break in pipes the way you wish. I am curious though how filling the bowl up half way results in a pipe that is sweeter and drier? Perhaps you can enlighten me with some facts for how the new pipes I fill to the rim and smoke to the bottom will smoke sweeter and drier down the road than if I just filled them up halfway?
If you actually read what I wrote I said that it’s easier to smoke to the bottom with a half bowl. With a full one you are more likely to experience some dottle. Smoking to the bottom seasons the chamber whereas leaving dottle just perpetually wets the bottom of the chamber without forming any kind of insulating layer. I never said you couldn’t fill up a whole pipe, just that for most people it’s going to be easier to smoke a half pipe to ash.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you actually read what I wrote I said that it’s easier to smoke to the bottom with a half bowl. With a full one you are more likely to experience some dottle. Smoking to the bottom seasons the chamber whereas leaving dottle just perpetually wets the bottom of the chamber without forming any kind of insulating layer. I never said you couldn’t fill up a whole pipe, just that for most people it’s going to be easier to smoke a half pipe to ash.
If I experienced a problem, I'd take that advice. Long, long ago, I used to do it your way. Then i decided to just start filling them up first bowl and beyond, experienced no difference. I've broken in well over 100 new pipes filling it to the rim from the first bowl on without a single issue. YMMV.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I have also read that somehow the smoking experience is better for taller people, I don't know if this is an urban myth, or has to do with barometric pressure etc. I am average height so I guess my pipes break in and smoke average.
It has to do with how your balls hang. Taller you are, more chance they will hang closer to 0600. What that has to do with smoking? No idea. But damned pitbulls will have harder chance taking a bite out of 'em.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I am curious though how filling the bowl up half way results in a pipe that is sweeter and drier?
It’s common knowledge, handed down from Interwebs Sages going back to the beginning, when Algore invented the World Wide Web… And he looked and he saw that it was good.

Back in the early days of my pipe smoking career, we had to dial up a phone number and connect via a modem to a. Bulletin board for this hard won knowledge. Or go to a building and meet with other human beings who happened to smoke a pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
or you could use Yorktown or Davidoff flake medallion which for some reason are the only two blends that smoke down to a flake or two. Why I have no clue. And it always leads to a it was smoking so good why the hell did it just go out like that oh it's mostly gone that's why. As always anyone that disagrees is just wrong and probably smokes tea leafs thinking it's tobacco. :)

Reactions: Bear100 and BROBS

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
The idea behind smoking half bowls is to get a carbon coating at the base of the chamber and round the draught hole. There are two reasons you might want to do this, firstly it's the hardest bit to get cake going, and secondly it's the part of the pipe most likely to get scorched by over enthusiastic attempts to smoke every bit of tobacco. So, while smoking to the bottom of the bowl is desirable lighting up that last bit of tobacco defeats the point of the exercise.

Sometimes I do the half bowl thing, other times I don't. When I do, it usually takes a couple of half bowls to get the carbon layer started, sometimes three. It might take a fourth or fifth bowl if I just start with full bowls. Either way the result should be the same. I'd ignore any advice that you must do so many quarter bowls then so many half bowls. It's better to know what you're aiming to achieve and just do it however suits you.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If you dry the tobacco sufficiently, tamp properly, use a lighter judiciously and smoke with an even cadence there shouldn’t be any problems.

Newer pipe smokers haven’t developed a technique and would probably benefit most from some sort of bowl coating.

I will dampen a naked chamber the first few times I smoke it. Otherwise I just load like I regularly do.

Status
Not open for further replies.