PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RootsCarving

Lurker
Feb 27, 2024
So recently I got into smoking, and I made myself what I think is called a cherrywood pipe, (it stands up and has an angle cut to the bottom of the stummel I believe it’s called) I used pear wood because it think it’s ok ? ( I don’t know though if anyone has anything on it it’d be appreciated! ) for the stem I used some crappy old wood because I don’t have any maple that’s dry yet, I’m wondering if I could use oak? I know it’s cancerous, but that’s only if burned right? And if it’s the stem it should be fine I think? I don’t know, what do you guys think?

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
Hello from Nashville. Oak burns really well, so probably not a good pipe material. I’m sure more experienced people will show up soon to guide you. And they probably know the name of the pipe makers forum that is escaping me at the moment. Best of luck!

Reactions: FLDRD

RootsCarving

Lurker
Feb 27, 2024
I would suggest you look on the pipemakersforum.com website. It is specifically for pipe makers even amateurs.
Gotcha, I was looking around the internet and couldn’t find a specific answer to the question that I had up in my first comment, for the stem of my pipe, can I use oak? Or is it still too risky because of the cancer risk?

Reactions: kcghost

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So recently I got into smoking, and I made myself what I think is called a cherrywood pipe, (it stands up and has an angle cut to the bottom of the stummel I believe it’s called) I used pear wood because it think it’s ok ? ( I don’t know though if anyone has anything on it it’d be appreciated! ) for the stem I used some crappy old wood because I don’t have any maple that’s dry yet, I’m wondering if I could use oak? I know it’s cancerous, but that’s only if burned right? And if it’s the stem it should be fine I think? I don’t know, what do you guys think?
Since you're interested in learning about making pipes I suggest that you check out this forum:

which is solely dedicated to pipe making and whose membership has a lot of professionals on it.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There's a spin-off group called "Pipe Makers" on Facebook, you'll get the same people and same advice there. Oak isn't super toxic (stay away from African hardwoods), things like walnut are worse on most of the indexes. But "getting cancer" really can't be your main fear if you are making.... smoking tools. This is like a mechanic who is afraid of oil.

RootsCarving

Lurker
Feb 27, 2024
There's a spin-off group called "Pipe Makers" on Facebook, you'll get the same people and same advice there. Oak isn't super toxic (stay away from African hardwoods), things like walnut are worse on most of the indexes. But "getting cancer" really can't be your main fear if you are making.... smoking tools. This is like a mechanic who is afraid of oil.
Yeahhh you’re right 😂 just want to minimize all the risks though!

RootsCarving

Lurker
Feb 27, 2024
Oh I have another question, this time about stains, is it just basically paint for wood? Can I use linseed oil? What’s the best stain for maple? Thanks!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Pipes are usually dyed with alcohol-based pigments. Maple might take regular wood stain but it's not known for it, really, it's pretty light colored and pretty densely grained. For real, look at pipemakersforum, there is an answer for everything there.

RootsCarving

Lurker
Feb 27, 2024
ok so a more smoking related question this time, I’m looking to buy some tobacco, but the closest store is over an hour away, are there any reputable site you guys recommend to buy tobacco? Is it even possible?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
ok so a more smoking related question this time, I’m looking to buy some tobacco, but the closest store is over an hour away, are there any reputable site you guys recommend to buy tobacco? Is it even possible?
Yes unless you living in WA. I think there are other states or cities too but Washington for sure.

smokingpipes
Tobaccopipes
Pipesandcigars