PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Caymus

Lurker
Sep 14, 2022
Gulf Shores, AL
Hi everyone ! I've been enjoying this forum. I've enjoyed cigars for a while but am new to pipes. I don't know enough yet to know what I like in pipes and tobacco blends, so I've bought a variety of used pipes (Butz Choquin, MM Corn Cobs, Owl Club, etc). I was gifted a new Peterson pipe for my bday. I think I would like the larger, Calabash style pipe, and I'd like to try a Meerschaum. I bought a whole bunch of 1oz sampler blends to try to get an idea of what I like, and don't like.
My biggest frustration so far is that I can't seem to consistently get a good light and have it stay lit so I'm fighting it all the time, and that's not such a great experience. I'll keep researching and trying until I can get figure it out.
I smoke inside and love the aromas. Smoking inside is so much more pleasurable than outside, which I learned from cigars.
I'm also an avid wine and whisky geek and serious home "chef".
I live in beautiful Gulf Shores, AL

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. Your problem with having trouble keeping the pipe lit sounds as if you might be packing your pipe too tight. The tobacco has to be able to get air to keep burning. Aromatics especially need to be lightly packed. It will be a learning experience so enjoy the trip. You will find the guys and gals on this forum have loads of knowledge to help you on your way. Welcome aboard.

Caymus

Lurker
Sep 14, 2022
Gulf Shores, AL
Welcome from North Carolina.
You may want to dry your tobacco a little bit more. Don't give up, in a few months it'll be second nature.
Hi FurCoat. That makes sense. All these tobacco samplers are new (ordered and delivered 4 weeks ago). I look forward to getting over the learning curve !

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Hi FurCoat. That makes sense. All these tobacco samplers are new (ordered and delivered 4 weeks ago). I look forward to getting over the learning curve !
Practice makes perfect. Then you get into plugs, flakes and ropes and the learning starts all over again. Fun stuff.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Welcome from Pensacola. Let it dry out for an hour whether you think it needs it or not. If you don't finish the bowl, relight it the next day. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes smokes better.

Reactions: OverMountain

Caymus

Lurker
Sep 14, 2022
Gulf Shores, AL
Welcome from Pensacola. Let it dry out for an hour whether you think it needs it or not. If you don't finish the bowl, relight it the next day. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes smokes better.
Thanks, clynch, I will try that ! Where do you go to smoke in Pensacola ? Are there any good pipe shopes ? Does Cordova Cigars have pipe stuff ?

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Welcome from Central Texas. Great advice so far, I would add that you probably need to lightly tamp more often. This brings the burn into better contact with unskilled tobacco, and hence, helps keep it lit. Cheers!

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Welcome from Virginia, as you progress you will find what works best for you but I’d recommend drying the tobacco more and packing loosely, as mentioned above.