PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
My first New Pipe Day post since joining the group! My first pipe was a Savinelli 606 bent apple in blue alligator and my second was a Peterson Deluxe Classic Terracotta bent Rhodesian 999 P-Lip. Wanted to try a third make and a churchwarden to boot; found this beautiful Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen VII smooth churchwarden bent egg with a 20% off coupon! Comes with two stems too! Waiting until after dinner to fire it up for the first time... now what blend shall I try?

IMG_4131.jpeg

IMG_4132.jpeg

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Even with that it's clear that it's a beautiful pipe. I still haven't owned a churchwarden so maybe I'll fulfill my dream from over a decade ago and also buy an HCA 7.
Thanks -- for me it is really nice-looking, elegant curves, has both stems, and was a reasonable price. I had a 20% off coupon from pipesandcigars.com that made it irresistible for me. They still have a couple in stock! I still want a 'Strider' pipe also ultimately.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thanks -- for me it is really nice-looking, elegant curves, has both stems, and was a reasonable price. I had a 20% off coupon from pipesandcigars.com that made it irresistible for me. They still have a couple in stock! I still want a 'Strider' pipe also ultimately.
I'll have to keep an eye out for their next 20% off sale. It looks like they have 7 left of one kind and 1 of any other kind. The photos on their site are both smooths but the more expensive one is marked sandblasted. Which one did order?

Reactions: Manawydan

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
I'll have to keep an eye out for their next 20% off sale. It looks like they have 7 left of one kind and 1 of any other kind. The photos on their site are both smooths but the more expensive one is marked sandblasted. Which one did order?
I ordered the smooth bent egg. I get coupons from P&C when I place orders -- those are usually 15% off.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
I decided to try the pipe in full 'churchwarden' mode this evening. Loaded up a bowl of Sherlock's Choice -- a Tinder Box English blend, a reasonable combination of Latakia, Oriental, and Virginia with a bit of BBQ on the nose. The pipe smoked beautifully! The smoke did seem cooler due to the longer travel before reaching my mouth. And when I did finally hear a bit of gurgle near the end of the bowl, I never got anything out of the bit. I am very pleased so far and look forward to breaking it in further.

I have to say, it is nigh impossible to not be in a contemplative mood when smoking a churchwarden. I was definitely channeling my inner Gandalf.

• Love

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Convenience aside, do you have a preference for which stem you enjoy using more?
Hmmm... I've smoke it both ways now and it smokes really well in either case. I think because I have several other standard-length bent pipes I prefer smoking it with the churchwarden stem for the novelty. If it was my only pipe (heaven forbid!) I'd likely smoke it standard maybe 2/3 of the time and the remainder in churchwarden mode.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Hmmm... I've smoke it both ways now and it smokes really well in either case. I think because I have several other standard-length bent pipes I prefer smoking it with the churchwarden stem for the novelty. If it was my only pipe (heaven forbid!) I'd likely smoke it standard maybe 2/3 of the time and the remainder in churchwarden mode.
Man you're really making me want to pick one of these up!

Reactions: Manawydan