PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
Being a new pipe smoker (cigars for 25 years), I am obviously going through the trials regarding tobacco, packing, lighting, etc.
The first few bowls were a bit difficult with re-lights and my ashtray looked like I was saving match sticks to build a full size cabin. And as I posted in a different thread, my tobacco choices (aros) are less than stellar in the flavor department but that’s mainly due to my 66 year old shot-to-hell taste buds among other variables.
I have tried many techniques mentioned here regarding extracting the flavor but so far, to no avail. I do want to repeat that so far, I have only tried Aros as I am waiting on the English and Virginians to arrive. Sounds a lot like Paul Revere.
I also cannot comment on tobaccos room notes as all of my smoking has currently been outside in the cold weather.

Currently, I am temporarily staying at a family’s cabin in NE Penna. as I am awaiting the purchase (hopefully) of a new home in upstate NY. This house has a shed that I will smoke in during the cold weather and should then be able to ascertain the aroma that I am curious about.
But as I continue to read/research threads, posts and articles, I am learning about what type of tobaccos may be right for me. I began purchasing 1 oz samples of Aros, and the other day I ordered some English and Virginia blends all in the quest of finding that elusive "game-changer". And I do realize that this could be a lengthy quest…but isn’t that half the fun?

I will also enjoy my journey in locating different styles of pipes and brands. In the meantime I have started with MM Country Gentleman and an inexpensive half bent Pear as I try to decide which style fits my comfort level. Hell, I even ordered an inexpensive Churchwarden to try.
I really enjoy experimenting in all phases of this and the one thing I discovered that has worked for ME, in the packing method, is to insert a pipe cleaner down the stem into the bowl and THEN pack with tobacco. Out of curiosity I even packed the tobacco very tight. The only problem with this method is while smoking, I keep poking myself in the eye with the pipe cleaner. Ba-dum-tiss…Sorry…

Seriously, this has resulted in now only having to re-light maybe two times with some slight tamping during the session. Now this successful method may be due to the tobacco being Aros which has some spring to it so this may not work with drier tobacco…but can’t wait to experiment.

But, like everything else, there are exceptions. For example, I have tried some quality Aros that have smoked beautifully (forgetting flavor) but yesterday I tried Sutliff Crème Brûlée in my Cob and even with my packing technique I had to relight about ten times. Moisture content was the same as all other Aros I currently have. The only deviation from the others was I let it sit out for an hour and then sit in the bowl for another 1/2 hour. This was only due to some chores I was doing. But it was difficult to keep lit. Next experiment will be to see how it does in my Pear.

The point of this post though, is the enjoyment I am deriving from a pipe. All of which I realize that this is why almost everyone smokes a pipe.
In my cigar days, I would sit on a porch or deck with the necessary glass of Sambuca. Enjoyable.
But with a pipe (no Sambuca), the feeling is different. As others have stated, there is a Zen like atmosphere resulting in a relaxing session. I find myself drawn to a porch chair and just reflecting.

As previously mentioned, I sold my house in the very congested area of SE Penna and am temporarily staying at a family’s cabin in the mountains of upstate Penna.
The weather here is cold as the other day, it was -5 during the night. And the next day it was 20* as we wait for an oncoming ‘noreaster that is supposed to bring a lot of snow. Has this deterred me from enjoying a bowl? Not at all. I sat out on the cabins porch, fired up my cob with a new bowl of Sutliff Vanilla Custard and sipped away.
Sitting back, I couldn’t help but just enjoy the surrounding area in the mountains encased with trees and peaceful quietness. A huge difference from my past congested, noisy neighborhood.
There is bright blue skies with no wind which makes the session comfortable. The state of mind has me reflecting and soon turns into a quiet meditative state. By nature I am a bitcher and complainer but I can honestly say that sitting back with my pipe has me feeling calmer and more relaxed. Of course, the beautiful surroundings helps also, but am sure if I was back in my old neighborhood, I’d be pissed about something, but I sure am curious if a pipe would have helped.

In my 4 weeks of piping, I discovered that I am definitely addicted; not to the tobacco but to the state of mind it puts me in.
I can only imagine how nice it will be in the warmer weather with that elusive "game-changer" tobacco.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Aha... so you took the red pill!
You're on your way my friend. Enjoy the ride and hang on to your wallet, due to the ever-present PAD and TAD that sneaks up on us.

You might want to order a few more cobs to smoke English and Virginia blends out of. The Aros will ghost a pipe and you won't get the full taste of the blend when smoking through a ghosted aro pipe.

In addition, since you're smoking outside, in the cold, Latakia forward blends are great for wintertime. I'd suggest GL Pease Gaslight :puffy

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Sounds like you’re on the typical pipe smokers journey. The more you experiment, the more you learn. The more you relax, the more you stop over thinking it and it all comes together regardless of relights. Before you know it, and without even thinking about it, one day you’ll all of a sudden just finish a bowl without a relight and wonder how lol.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Sounds like you're having a hell of a time! My own early experiences were a bit similar what with all the relights I used to have to do, and the fact that I was packing way too tight. A few months ago though, I got a new pipe and things just kind of clicked, and I too am addicted to that zen like state from pipe smoking.

SmokeRings79

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2021
Israel
I've been smoking for 2 years. Couldn't really taste the aros when I started as well (today I like Half & Half now and then). Your order sounds right. I would suggest you'll try stronger stuff with burley, which might be an easier transition for a cigar smoker. You can start with something basic like Amphora burley blend, and try Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz (which has a cigar quality to it). Warped makes some descent tobacco with cigar leafs inside (I don't really care for it, but you might enjoy it).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Being a new pipe smoker (cigars for 25 years), I am obviously going through the trials regarding tobacco, packing, lighting, etc.
The first few bowls were a bit difficult with re-lights and my ashtray looked like I was saving match sticks to build a full size cabin. And as I posted in a different thread, my tobacco choices (aros) are less than stellar in the flavor department but that’s mainly due to my 66 year old shot-to-hell taste buds among other variables.
I have tried many techniques mentioned here regarding extracting the flavor but so far, to no avail. I do want to repeat that so far, I have only tried Aros as I am waiting on the English and Virginians to arrive. Sounds a lot like Paul Revere.
I also cannot comment on tobaccos room notes as all of my smoking has currently been outside in the cold weather.

Currently, I am temporarily staying at a family’s cabin in NE Penna. as I am awaiting the purchase (hopefully) of a new home in upstate NY. This house has a shed that I will smoke in during the cold weather and should then be able to ascertain the aroma that I am curious about.
But as I continue to read/research threads, posts and articles, I am learning about what type of tobaccos may be right for me. I began purchasing 1 oz samples of Aros, and the other day I ordered some English and Virginia blends all in the quest of finding that elusive "game-changer". And I do realize that this could be a lengthy quest…but isn’t that half the fun?

I will also enjoy my journey in locating different styles of pipes and brands. In the meantime I have started with MM Country Gentleman and an inexpensive half bent Pear as I try to decide which style fits my comfort level. Hell, I even ordered an inexpensive Churchwarden to try.
I really enjoy experimenting in all phases of this and the one thing I discovered that has worked for ME, in the packing method, is to insert a pipe cleaner down the stem into the bowl and THEN pack with tobacco. Out of curiosity I even packed the tobacco very tight. The only problem with this method is while smoking, I keep poking myself in the eye with the pipe cleaner. Ba-dum-tiss…Sorry…

Seriously, this has resulted in now only having to re-light maybe two times with some slight tamping during the session. Now this successful method may be due to the tobacco being Aros which has some spring to it so this may not work with drier tobacco…but can’t wait to experiment.

But, like everything else, there are exceptions. For example, I have tried some quality Aros that have smoked beautifully (forgetting flavor) but yesterday I tried Sutliff Crème Brûlée in my Cob and even with my packing technique I had to relight about ten times. Moisture content was the same as all other Aros I currently have. The only deviation from the others was I let it sit out for an hour and then sit in the bowl for another 1/2 hour. This was only due to some chores I was doing. But it was difficult to keep lit. Next experiment will be to see how it does in my Pear.

The point of this post though, is the enjoyment I am deriving from a pipe. All of which I realize that this is why almost everyone smokes a pipe.
In my cigar days, I would sit on a porch or deck with the necessary glass of Sambuca. Enjoyable.
But with a pipe (no Sambuca), the feeling is different. As others have stated, there is a Zen like atmosphere resulting in a relaxing session. I find myself drawn to a porch chair and just reflecting.

As previously mentioned, I sold my house in the very congested area of SE Penna and am temporarily staying at a family’s cabin in the mountains of upstate Penna.
The weather here is cold as the other day, it was -5 during the night. And the next day it was 20* as we wait for an oncoming ‘noreaster that is supposed to bring a lot of snow. Has this deterred me from enjoying a bowl? Not at all. I sat out on the cabins porch, fired up my cob with a new bowl of Sutliff Vanilla Custard and sipped away.
Sitting back, I couldn’t help but just enjoy the surrounding area in the mountains encased with trees and peaceful quietness. A huge difference from my past congested, noisy neighborhood.
There is bright blue skies with no wind which makes the session comfortable. The state of mind has me reflecting and soon turns into a quiet meditative state. By nature I am a bitcher and complainer but I can honestly say that sitting back with my pipe has me feeling calmer and more relaxed. Of course, the beautiful surroundings helps also, but am sure if I was back in my old neighborhood, I’d be pissed about something, but I sure am curious if a pipe would have helped.

In my 4 weeks of piping, I discovered that I am definitely addicted; not to the tobacco but to the state of mind it puts me in.
I can only imagine how nice it will be in the warmer weather with that elusive "game-changer" tobacco.
I often tell people that smoking a pipe isn't just about ingesting tobacco. That's a big part of it. But it's also about doing an activity that requires a gentle and constant focus. But it's really all of that blended together into something very special. You know kind of like the zen tea ceremony, it's not just the tea or the soft focus ritual aspect it's both married together. Pipes are great.
Relights don't worry about them unless it's like last night where the wind kept trying knock me on my bum. It happens. Ironically it seems like the less you care the less you need to relight.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Welcome from Sydney, Oz.

Very similar story to yours - I was an exclusive cigar smoker for 15 years, then decided about 3 or so years ago to bring out my old pipes. Haven't looked back since. I still enjoy the occasional cigar but I find smoking pipes so much more enjoyable.

I only smoke on the weekends. Sitting on the front verandah with pipes, tobacco and paraphernalia, and a drink (usually, but always alcohol) and the newspapers or a book
or an I-pad is so enjoyable and relaxing.

Except when the embers fall onto some part of my torso. ?

Enjoy, in good health. And may your move into your mancave (shed) be soon.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
As for finding that one flavor that just hits with you… that certainly is how it goes for some folks. And I started out thinking that way too. Then finally just accepted the fact that I like it all. Aros, English, Balkans, Virginias, VaPers, VaBurs, etc. And I’ll go through phases where I particularly enjoy a specific category or blend for a month or two. Then I start getting the itch to taste on something different.

As for the flavor kind of eluding you… I quit smoking my pipes about 10 years ago and took up cigars almost exclusively for a few years. As you know, cigars have a very robust, present flavor. Sometimes too much. You don’t have to really go searching for it or try and coax it out. Sometimes with pipe tobacco, if you “over light” it, you can kill the some of the flavor, or even if you start puffing too hard and fast. But I will say that there are some “bolder” pipe tobaccos, and there’s even some that have cigar wrapper leaf chopped up and included. I’ve not tried the latter, but I’ve heard it’s quite tasty.

And one final thing I’ve learned over the years: when you’re at the tobacconist and you’re smelling the lids of the jars to find something you like, don’t let a pungent smell fool you. Early on, if I didn’t get a sweet “tin note” from the jar, I’d turn my nose up and move on. But I’ve found that often the most flavorful tobaccos end up being the ones that I initially thought stank to high heaven in the jar/packaging.

And one more final note: I love churchwardens. Particularly when reading. 3A178D0E-263C-4E0B-BBDA-301E1AB219D8.jpeg

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia

I am also still new, I started pipe smoking almost the same time as you. About 4 weeks now since i started. I also bought a cheap churchwarden to try out how it is ? . So far, I have a cheap churchwarden briar pipe, a medium Dr. Plumb, and a Peterson. I just ordered a MM Cob and a meerschaum, to try out how it is ?. I wanted to try out many pipes, but my wallet gives me a limitation on it ?. So far, the meerschaum pipe is the most expensive pipe i bought. My packing so far no problem, I've been using the gravity pack, usually is one light, finish the whole bowl. One bowl usually last me about 45 mins to 1 hour. But i use tamper, quite a number of time in one bowl. Still trying out different kind of tobacco now. But at the moment, I only smoke aros, coz i like the smell of it. But, really, every tobacco smokes different. And every pipe smokes different. It's an on going hobby, I quite like it, coz it feels like meditation when smoking the pipe ?

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hang around here long enough, you’ll be poor in no time, with all the addiction going on around here! LOL ?

I never think about relighting or how long a bowl lasts. I’ve always been one to just light a little, take a few sips, let it go out and cool down and repeat. Plus giving the mouth a rest, constant smoke in the mouth, puffing away, I find the tastebuds and mouth go bland, dull, kills the senses. After all a connoisseur wine taster isn’t gorging gulping constantly, just sipping every so carefully small sips to taste at maximum level.

It’s my belief, the least amount of fire/heat with very small easy sips, to also not create a lot of heat when drawing, yields maximum flavor. This is why I smoke this way, every time I try to keep any blend lit and smoking for longer periods of time, the flavors become less pronounced.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Latakia will be a game changer. Even if you don't like it. Packing the pipe with cleaner in it is same idea as leaving air space/pocket at the bottom of the chamber. You can pack first then run the cleaner. It will do the same thing.

Reactions: shane1 and JOHN72

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
"Be the pipe."

The zen / meditative thing is certainly real for me. Sometimes the pipe & tobacco will cooperate beautifully until the moment I stop thinking about it. My mind wanders to something [serious] and it's as if "they" know and immediately stop participating. Then I have to re-light.

Who knew?

?‍♂️

Reactions: shane1

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As for finding that one flavor that just hits with you… that certainly is how it goes for some folks. And I started out thinking that way too. Then finally just accepted the fact that I like it all. Aros, English, Balkans, Virginias, VaPers, VaBurs, etc. And I’ll go through phases where I particularly enjoy a specific category or blend for a month or two. Then I start getting the itch to taste on something different.

As for the flavor kind of eluding you… I quit smoking my pipes about 10 years ago and took up cigars almost exclusively for a few years. As you know, cigars have a very robust, present flavor. Sometimes too much. You don’t have to really go searching for it or try and coax it out. Sometimes with pipe tobacco, if you “over light” it, you can kill the some of the flavor, or even if you start puffing too hard and fast. But I will say that there are some “bolder” pipe tobaccos, and there’s even some that have cigar wrapper leaf chopped up and included. I’ve not tried the latter, but I’ve heard it’s quite tasty.

And one final thing I’ve learned over the years: when you’re at the tobacconist and you’re smelling the lids of the jars to find something you like, don’t let a pungent smell fool you. Early on, if I didn’t get a sweet “tin note” from the jar, I’d turn my nose up and move on. But I’ve found that often the most flavorful tobaccos end up being the ones that I initially thought stank to high heaven in the jar/packaging.

And one more final note: I love churchwardens. Particularly when reading. View attachment 122633
my experience is it's best for me to go in the middle to focus on some few blends at a time. And enjoy variety but very slowly. That's the thing you find what works for you and stick with it, until something else works better for you.

Reactions: shane1