PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I received this most kind sample box from a most outstanding BOTL, jbrewer2002.
It started when I inquired about thoughts on Redburn. I am on the hunt to explore Burleys after purchasing an American blend with a generous portion of burley that I found to be very good.
Jb blew up my mailbox with 6 Burley samples as sown in the photo.
This is a great way to pay it forward to others in helping them try something they may be interested in.
Thanks again, jb!
tempImagexFs4nN.jpgRR

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
It started when I inquired about thoughts on Redburn. I am on the hunt to explore Burleys after purchasing an American blend with a generous portion of burley that I found to be very good.
This is a great way to pay it forward to others in helping them try something they may be interested in.
Thanks again, jb!
Let me know how you like those Boswell’s I was looking at them the other day.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Another great one if you want to explore burley is Mac Baren HH Burley Flake.

I don't know if you're more into exploring straighter burley vs burley-based blends, but if you're open to the latter, C&D Old Joe Krantz (original brown label) is a good one. And if you have tried and liked Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (aka "PSLNF", which is Virginia-based), Mac Baren Navy Flake is along the same lines, but based instead on burley. Comparing those two will give you a nice way of comparing how blends can be when the key component is burley instead of Virginia.

I've yet to try them, but L.J. Peretti burley blends are supposed to be great. I'll get around to ordering some eventually.

Burley is or can be more complex than it gets credit for.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Yeah that one is really great. I can't smoke it all day because the mouth feel is a bit dry but there is some serious complexity with this blend. There are whispered floral notes at times which are just beautiful and unexpected when they come through.
Yes, this is why it's my all time favorite burley so far. It's deceptively complex and only really reveals that nature if you focus, because it's subtle.

So many people think of burley as "chocolate", but it can be so much more. It can have butter-nutty notes, almost coffee-esque notes, and a whole other realm beyond cocoa. It's sort of unfortunate that so many blenders double down on that one dimension by casing them in cocoa/anise/licorice. Just a touch of VA can bring out all these other subtleties of burley that get overlooked.

Savinelli Jupiter is another good one that really highlights the [non-cocoa/chocolate] nuttier side of Burley. It's actually the same components as HH Burley Flake (burley as a base with ODF and Virginia as condiments), but it's cased with rum and molasses.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks again, jb!
View attachment 305342RR

A lot of generous brothers here!
Quarter bags are getting bigger.
Fewer seeds and stems as well.

Last edited by a moderator: