PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Bill Gates is already buying up all of those plants to create a CMO version of them, add a bunch of other crap to them and push it on the public. Other than that yes the story is very cool because it seems apparent that the primate knew what it was doing by chewing the leaves and putting the mush on the wound that then healed without any infection in just a few weeks, much faster and cleaner than if it was untreated.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Thats interesting. There is a clip from BBC's Earth series of David Attenborourgh with an orangutan that had learned certain behaviour through watching human activity. He is sitting next to an orangutan attempting to hammer nails into a piece of wood. The orangutan also uses a panel saw to attempt to saw a piece of timber. That's pretty impressive.

Reactions: jaingorenard

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I too found this a fascinating story so kudos to the anthropologists for bringing it to our attention.

It just goes to show that learning through doing is not just a human thing. It also suggests we are not so far removed from the apes as some might think.

Jay.

• Love
Reactions: jaingorenard

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
20 years ago I read a book about animal intelligence and I remember a few stories about the orangutans… one was about them getting out of their cage by making twine out of their own hair and fashioning a crude rope to somehow aid in escaping. Another about them using a boat to cross a river and then securing the boat back to the tree like the humans. My memory has failed me but the impression those stories had stuck with me. Amazing creatures… thanks for the post.