PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I don't mean to start a debate about capital punishment, but surely this ought to be a capital offense? From the NY Times:

An internal inquiry had found that Steve Marks, executive director of the Oregon Liquor and Cannabis Commission, and other officials had diverted bottles of rare bourbons so they could buy them in stores.

The executive director of Oregon’s liquor control agency announced his resignation on Monday amid a criminal investigation into accusations that top officials had hoarded bottles of top-shelf spirits including rare bourbons that can fetch more than $5,000 on the secondary market.

The official, Steve Marks, wrote in a resignation letter that Gov. Tina Kotek of Oregon had requested that he step down from his position as executive director of the Oregon Liquor and Cannabis Commission.

The announcement by Mr. Marks came after an internal agency investigation, made public last week, found that he and five other commission officials had abused their positions by diverting bottles of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon and other liquor from a state warehouse so that they could buy them in stores.

Outrageous! :)

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
As a kid If I was caught diverting any liquor from my old man’s stash the threatened punishment was that I would have to drink the entire bottle without stopping. Same went for a pack of smokes. I think that could be an appropriate course of retribution in this case

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
As a kid If I was caught diverting any liquor from my old man’s stash the threatened punishment was that I would have to drink the entire bottle without stopping. Same went for a pack of smokes. I think that could be an appropriate course of retribution in this case
Except by the time I was caught the tequila and vodka were just water bottles.