PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Such as? I was mainly referring to straight Oriental blends.

The only two non-latakia Orientals I know of are SG's Sam's Flake (Virginia/Oriental with Tonkin bean topping, not tried it yet) and Germain's Virgnia & Cavendish (Virginia, Cavandish and Oriental), which is pleasant enough but hard to come by.

I think there are a few straight orientals, mainly for mixing, which I've never had a go at, but there aren't many. In the UK it seems latakia stinks up everything in the pipe world.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One of my favorite Va/Or blends is Off The Rails, which is a one off made by Watch City. If you want something really good, some of this is currently being offered by Hoosierguy on his FS post. I bought a pound of it to supplement what I already have, and am happy that I did. I also like Brunello Flake.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The only two non-latakia Orientals I know of are SG's Sam's Flake (Virginia/Oriental with Tonkin bean topping, not tried it yet) and Germain's Virgnia & Cavendish (Virginia, Cavandish and Oriental), which is pleasant enough but hard to come by.

I think there are a few straight orientals, mainly for mixing, which I've never had a go at, but there aren't many. In the UK it seems latakia stinks up everything in the pipe world.
Sutliff TS24 is pretty tasty straight up. It's a blend of Yenidje, Basma, and Samsun varietals.

Reactions: dcon

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Be aware with the Maltese Falcon, there is a ginger component in there.

Most don't mind it, but it made it unsmokeable for me. Maybe start with one tin and see.

There are a couple blends with cinnamon and I had a similar experience.

I think it's just me, as most don't seem to mention it much. Still, I thought you might like to know!

1659141144423.png

gastro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2020
Twin Cities, Minnesota
I also recommend McConnel's Oriental and Pease Regents Flake, I've been smoking both and really enjoy them!

Was fortunate enough to try a McClellands Winter 2016 special blend that was oriental forward