PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
Hello all, I'm looking to make a bulk purchase for the cellar and I'm trying to decide which of these I'd rather have 'deep', given the upcoming FDA fun.

So, of these two Virginia Flakes, which one would you bulk up on?

Thanks and happy smoking!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You should smoke multiple tins of each and decide for yourself. Not sure how someone else can make that decision for you. OGS has a very slight amount of perique and IMHO, benefits significantly with age. HH Pure Virginia is better fresh and not as spicy but sweeter. It will also benefit with age. I have multiple pounds of each, I think they are both excellent flakes.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Personally I liked The Orlik Golden sliced better, especially with some age on it,I find OGS being a bit more nuance rich,whereas as for HH Virginia flake it reminds me of that of Amphora Virginia,both plain medium-strength Virginias from Mc Barens

Reactions: gervais

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
I have smoked both, I'm just being indecisive on making a long-term decision. It's how I've ended-up with too many blends in the collection already.

I'm just trying to narrow it down and thought I'd check with this fine group for a general consensus.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'd recommend also trying Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. It's clear into VA/per territory. The perique definitely adds an element of spice, and there is some type of mild coconutty topping, so it isn't a straight Virginia. Even so, it's one of my favorite Virginia tobaccos, and quite popular, and comes in bulk cheap. In my admittedly limited experience with Virginia blends, the only Virginia flake which I can say that I definitively like better is Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. I always have some on hand.

nekodvoru

Lurker
Jun 10, 2020
Can someone please give me a link to possible FDA change in regulation discussion for pipe tobacco. I am new to the forume and think missing on this one. Thanks

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have smoked both, I'm just being indecisive on making a long-term decision. It's how I've ended-up with too many blends in the collection already.

I'm just trying to narrow it down and thought I'd check with this fine group for a general consensus.

Kewl. My recommendation is to purchase a minimum of 5 lbs of each. I hope that eases your stress over the decision. They're such different blends, I don't see how an either/or decision is valid.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I slightly favor the OGS as well, but second lawdawg's suggestion. The Stokkebye LNF is amazing, as are the Luxury Bulls Eye and Luxury Twist. And you can get them in 5 lb bags for a better price. If I remember, I have 10lb of LNF, and 5lb of each of the others. I have a pound or two of the HH and maybe 20 tins of OGS.

Reactions: cornedbeef

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Of those two I would take the HH Pure. It is deeper in flavor and doesn't have a topping.
OGS is topped or cased or whatever, with a bergamot essence, making it taste exactly like earl grey tea.
I've come to dislike aromatic essences on my virginias.
But I cellar neither of those, so take my comment lightly.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Of those two I would take the HH Pure. It is deeper in flavor and doesn't have a topping.
OGS is topped or cased or whatever, with a bergamot essence, making it taste exactly like earl grey tea.
I've come to dislike aromatic essences on my virginias.
But I cellar neither of those, so take my comment lightly.
thanks for telling that now I have to try Orlik even if I am not a judge or even shrewd

Status
Not open for further replies.