PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
You're absolutely right. While some cables can, and do make a good difference, there may be limitations in the chain that will not reveal those differences. A funny story: A late friend of mine who wrote for one of the big audiophile magazines and I went to visit the home of someone who was a bit of what we called a "flat earther," who didn't believe in tweaks making any difference whatsoever. After hearing his system, we knew he was absolutely right, in the context of his system; his set up and gear masked any nuances and subtleties, that there was no way he could experience hearing any changes made by a cable or tweak. It helped us understand why he was so adamant about poo pooing changing cables and such.
On the other hand if you have the right gear cables can make a big difference. I remember about 20 years ago my home system consisted of all Mark Levinson electronics with Magnepan MG20 speakers. The cables were audiophile grade of medium quality. A friend who was in the business suggested we do a test and we replaced all my cables and interconnects with Transparent high end stuff. The difference was amazing. After some dickering and lightening my wallet by several thousands, the Trensparents became part of my system.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Lately, fountain pens have been a bit of an interest, though my penmanship is horrendous. I don't have anything expensive, a couple of Monteverdes, Levengers and Rotrings. I just bought some different inks to experiment with. On thing I'd love to do is build model railroad layout or dioramas There is only one major problem, I have no interest what so ever with model railroading. I just like the scenes. I had to build a part of one once for a geography class and it was fun.

I also love shooting and guns. My favorites are a Beretta 87 target pistol, a Tippmann Arms M4-22 and my KS7 shotgun. My EDC is a Kimber Micro .380 though I might upgrade it to the Micro 9. I also love knives. I don't do anything with them other than open packages. I have a dozen or so fixed blades, of which a Mantis Chaos, Extrema Ratio Talon or Cold Steel Safe Maker are my EDC.

1642487447193.png1642487543770.png

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Lately, fountain pens have been a bit of an interest, though my penmanship is horrendous. I don't have anything expensive, a couple of Monteverdes, Levengers and Rotrings. I just bought some different inks to experiment with. On thing I'd love to do is build model railroad layout or dioramas There is only one major problem, I have no interest what so ever with model railroading. I just like the scenes. I had to build a part of one once for a geography class and it was fun.

I also love shooting and guns. My favorites are a Beretta 87 target pistol, a Tippmann Arms M4-22 and my KS7 shotgun. My EDC is a Kimber Micro .380 though I might upgrade it to the Micro 9. I also love knives. I don't do anything with them other than open packages. I have a dozen or so fixed blades, of which a Mantis Chaos, Extrema Ratio Talon or Cold Steel Safe Maker are my EDC.

View attachment 122534View attachment 122535
It's a small world after all. Seems a lot of us pipe guys are interested in the same things. I am, or have been, into quality pens, plastic modeling, guns and hand made and survival knives. puffy

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
With three kids running around, they’re number 1. Between them and starting a business, my hobbies must be almost passive for now. Smoking a pipe (perks of self employment), watches (wear them all the time), reading (if I find time), and Ohio State Football, during the season. Oldest boy is starting into video games, so perhaps Pokémon games?

Reactions: JOHN72

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
With three kids running around, they’re number 1. Between them and starting a business, my hobbies must be almost passive for now. Smoking a pipe (perks of self employment), watches (wear them all the time), reading (if I find time), and Ohio State Football, during the season. Oldest boy is starting into video games, so perhaps Pokémon games?

As a father who has successfully raised two kids into adulthood, I can tell you that the father's best friend is for little kids goes by only one name: Benadryl!

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com
Well this will be fun... I make mead and beer for fun, hike and camp, lift weights, I am a patched member of the 2nd largest Motorcycle Organization in the world, I was a professional chef for 12 years, and I am currently teaching myself pipe refurbing\restoration\crafting.

I have a very small YouTube Vlog where I tell the exploits of a SEMI-fictional character, all retelling the real life exploits of interesting people I have known under one Pseudonym. I'm not going to advert its name here as I don't want to come across as trying to get views. All in all, I stay pretty busy.PXL_20211007_000421979.jpgPXL_20210929_001204300.jpg

Last edited:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I am a patched member of the 2nd largest Motorcycle Organization in the world

I tried becoming a patched member of a bike organization. I had a rough go of it. It probably wasn't best to show up to my first meeting on a Vespa. Luckily, my charm and joie de vivre won them over. For six months I did their pledging activities. As a final step they wanted me to show my loyalty by finding and eliminating a police informant that was ratting on the club. Whoa! That was disappointing for a few reasons. For one, I thought we'd all just go to Dairy Queen and celebrate over Oreo Blizzards, not kill anyone. For another, well, long story short the informant was me but it wasn't my fault. (I probably should have known that stripper didn't really like me and was mic'd. All the signs were there. First off, most strippers aren't that chatty or wear blue wool sweaters Secondly, she made me pay her for the lap dances. Thirdly, every time the song would end, she'd put her shorts back on and walk away! Ahh, young love, it blinds you!) So anyways, I had to fake my own death. In retrospect, I probably should have told my family about it before hand. When they heard the news I was dead, mom had a breakdown and grandma had a stroke and died. Luckily, grandma and I have similar first names so when the bikers saw the obituary they thought it was me. On top of all that, I got grounded. Yeah I was 34 but when you live in their house you have to follow their rules! (I didn't know faking your own death was against the rules) We got DQ on the way home from grandma's funeral, so that was nice.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hobbies... Making beer (was the president of a local club), Coffee roasting, drinking and espresso, bourbon, Scotch, cooking, pottery, used to play rec league Ice Hockey (goalie), and shooting (some reloading too - Lee progressive press) - those are the big ones...
so then your screen name is about your hobbies and not what your parents named you. Weird this whole time I assumed you where a teetotaler who hated caffeine and just had parents who made odd choices.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Well this will be fun... I make mead and beer for fun, hike and camp, lift weights, I am a patched member of the 2nd largest Motorcycle Organization in the world, I was a professional chef for 12 years, and I am currently teaching myself pipe refurbing\restoration\crafting.

I have a very small YouTube Vlog where I tell the exploits of a SEMI-fictional character, all retelling the real life exploits of interesting people I have known under one Pseudonym. I'm not going to advert its name here as I don't want to come across as trying to get views. All in all, I stay pretty busy.View attachment 122621View attachment 122622
You and I have probably cut some of the same road. ?