PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
How important is it to have a metal tip on the bottom of a tamper? Would a washer and screw work? I don't know anyone local with a pistol to ask for spent cartriges. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My idea for the tamper trade would be better with a cap.
Winton

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A metal tip isn't mandatory if you're using briar or other heat resistant wood.I make some from sticks and twigs and tip them with a thumb tack epoxied in place. If you use a bolt,try to find one made of brass,easier to work with hand tools. If you rough up the surface good you might epoxy a flat piece of metal to it and then round off with a file etc. I like JB Weld for stuff like this-it is heat resistant up to 600 degrees. A coin might work.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I started out using stainless steel bolts and rounded them on a grinder. Then finish them by sanding with fine grade sandpaper. Of course then I buff them to a mirror finish. I also make some out of aluminum on the lathe now! Lots of ways you can make the end for tampers.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Winton you should check if you've got a freecycle sort of deal in your area here.

That's how I came to have the cartridges I have.
The idea is you put an ad asking for them and somebody just may have them to give you! Freecycling.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
A screw and washer will work. As mentioned a thumb tack or upholstery tacks will also work. A coin will work (mercury head dimes in really worn condition are cool and cheap). You can even use pennies and dimes in layers to get a neat look.

You can check yellow pages for shooting ranges and they will give you all the spent cases you want, brass, steel and alloy.

Thin metal used as flashing found on building sights, bought at DIY stores or cut from soda or beer cans will work...on and on and on

Status
Not open for further replies.