PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I say, save the stummel. Someday you may need briar dust to fill smaller cracks along the way. That pipe will serve many repairs that way!

Reactions: Sobrbiker

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
Clearly this thing is used to being abused. I’d say load it up with your favorite blend and give it what it’s used to! 🥊
😂😂😂

I was thinking along the same lines. Hell, nothing I do to her can come close to what’s already taken place by it’s former owners.

A good cleaning, some pipe mud and see how she does. I’ve never smoked a 100+ year old briar before!

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
You could do what I did with this patent era Dunhill. The bowl was toast but the shank and stem were salvageable. So I cut off the shank at an angle where it met the bowl and glued on a cob bowl. Some stain, polishing and wax later, presto a Duncob! Finding the right cob bowl would be the tricky part due to the shape of the pipe, but I think it could be done with a larger cob bowl. Just something to think about.
037BD9F8-F9CC-4D25-9F6B-BFC104673C80_1_201_a.jpeg
B40616A4-B419-48F2-BED2-39C00C14E822_1_201_a.jpeg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
You could do what I did with this patent era Dunhill. The bowl was toast but the shank and stem were salvageable. So I cut off the shank at an angle where it met the bowl and glued on a cob bowl. Some stain, polishing and wax later, presto a Duncob! Finding the right cob bowl would be the tricky part due to the shape of the pipe, but I think it could be done with a larger cob bowl. Just something to think about.
View attachment 285675
View attachment 285676
Brilliant!
But I think Alfred just spun around in his grave. 🧐

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
View attachment 285675
View attachment 285676
Brilliant!!

Reactions: agnosticpipe
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
View attachment 285675
View attachment 285676
Well done sir ! The most agreeable "Frankenpipe" I've seen in ages !
How did you manage to clue it so neatly ?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Well done sir ! The most agreeable "Frankenpipe" I've seen in ages !
How did you manage to clue it so neatly ?
I used regular wood glue to glue the shank inside the bowl, then used some pipe mud around the bottom. Then I used JB Woodweld to fill in the gap on the outside of the bowl. Careful sanding, staining and finishing took care of the rest.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I used regular wood glue to glue the shank inside the bowl, then used some pipe mud around the bottom. Then I used JB Woodweld to fill in the gap on the outside of the bowl. Careful sanding, staining and finishing took care of the rest.
Congrats on a great job; this is what I like on the forum :)
JB Woodweld is new to me , what is the difference ?
I wonder if it could be used as a pipe cement ?
As is often done ( not by me ) with the regural weld.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Congrats on a great job; this is what I like on the forum :)
JB Woodweld is new to me , what is the difference ?
I wonder if it could be used as a pipe cement ?
As is often done ( not by me ) with the regural weld.
I'm not sure what you mean by pipe cement. Are you thinking of what you would use inside of the bowl? If so, I don't think it would be advisable as it is an epoxy much the same as regular JB Weld. I have found it to be pretty good for patching cracks etc. on the outside of pipes, although it's not really stainable. I end up using super glue with briar dust, or simply use stainable wood putty as the finish filler. Mind you, this type of repair is mainly used for badly damaged pipes that would have no value to begin with. It's just fun to repair these hopeless pipes sometimes.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Take a look at a product called Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty - it has the interesting property of not shrinking when it dries. It doesn't stain well though...

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
View attachment 285675
View attachment 285676
Perfect!