PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I never shorten peoples names and I expect them to use my full name as well.

Janus
Agreed -- if I only know the name beforehand, I use the full proper name when meeting. If someone introduces themselves to me, then I know what they prefer to be called and use that. Sometimes, you meet someone and they'll say 'just call me Dan' or whatever, and then at least you know how to refer to them, and they are comfortable with it.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Unless it's your boss, the boss never calls you by name, he's such an asshole, he just communicates with a finger to the ceiling, with a smoky bacon face. My God, this crappy translator is creating a serious depression for me. You're right, they should call you by your full name, unless I'm dumb or deafer than a nuclear submarine cover. For example, my name is john in the forum, but my wife calls me juan. But I like John better, as John Rambo. This is not going to end well. I knew ashdigger, he loves charred pizzas, that's for sure.
I’m sorry that Google does a crappy job of translating your words but I enjoy reading your posts more than just about anyone else’s because of it.

Jan 27, 2020
Yeh, I used to always introduce myself as Michael, and inevitably they call me Mike. I’m not a Mike, so yeh, it bothers me.
If someone else introduces me, they usually call me Cosmic these days. My daughters’ friends all call me Papa.
Michael, Cosmic, Papa… I can handle those, but not Mike. It just doesn’t sound like me

I am in the I am not a Mike club too, Michael

I’m sorry that Google does a crappy job of translating your words but I enjoy reading your posts more than just about anyone else’s because of it.

I was going to say something similar. @JOHN72 their is some sort of magic that happens in the space between your personality and Google translate which is not only humorous but poignant.

I wanted to reply in greater detail to this wonderful thread OP, whatever your name is, but I'm a bit tuckered out at the moment.

Cheers,
M.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
In a work situation it's usually someone that views you as competition or a subordinate and they wish to flex/demonstrate their control or assumed power through mild humiliation by way of deliberately getting your name wrong. You just don't make enough of an impression to be memorable. These people have other tricks and few constructive talents. The rest are either bad with names, hard learners, hard of hearing, or think they're being cute which goes back to deliberately getting ones name wrong.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My given name can be shortened by friends or family. It is irksome when done by others, especially professionals.

Do I get worked up about it? No, but it's annoying and I make sure to call others as they introduce themselves.

I've gone by Amish since high school and in a kitchen I worked at for about 12 years.

My chef coat even said Amish and most didn't know my real name for a reason: to separate cooking life from my professional life as I was moonlighting and wanted to avoid being questioned in the kitchen.

For the most part, it worked.

Jan 27, 2020
My given name can be shortened by friends or family. It is irksome when done by others, especially professionals.

Do I get worked up about it? No, but it's annoying and I make sure to call others as they introduce themselves.

I've gone by Amish since high school and in a kitchen I worked at for about 12 years.

My chef coat even said Amish and most didn't know my real name for a reason: to separate cooking life from my professional life as I was moonlighting and wanted to avoid being questioned in the kitchen.

For the most part, it worked.

Has anyone ever called you Hamish?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I get that a lot. I don't have any English name, so I use my full name instead. So, for many people convenience who can't remember my full name, they just call me Lee. Some even call me Mr. Lee, my surname is not Lee ? . Anyway, as long as people can remember, I'm ok with that ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeh, I used to always introduce myself as Michael, and inevitably they call me Mike. I’m not a Mike, so yeh, it bothers me.
If someone else introduces me, they usually call me Cosmic these days. My daughters’ friends all call me Papa.
Michael, Cosmic, Papa… I can handle those, but not Mike. It just doesn’t sound like me.
I never thought this day would come. Now we know what name to put on the package we send you the bulk cobs in. Just teasing.

I never thought this day would come. Now we know what name to put on the package we send you the bulk cobs in. Just teasing.
My name was never a secret, ha ha. It used to be in my tag line for years on here… so, there has been no reason to NOT send me those cobs. I’d love a box of them. They’re like stress balls, except you smack them with a hammer. puffy