24 Fresh Barling Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I can't stand the people who have to dimunize a name by adding 'ie' or 'y' : Johnny, jimmy, frankie, eddie, bobbie, timmie, freddy, mikey, marky, tommy, Cosmicky, Richy, Shaney, etc......
View attachment 161847

Funny, despite my annoyance with people shortening my name, I don't mind when older people add a 'y' to mine, comes off almost like a term of endearment. My door lady and this 70yo guy who lives across the street from me calls me as such and I find it endearing but if some young snot who I barely know did I'd find it crass.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Funny, despite my annoyance with people shortening my name, I don't mind when older people add a 'y' to mine, comes off almost like a term of endearment. My door lady and this 70yo guy who lives across the street from me calls me as such and I find it endearing but if some young snot who I barely know did I'd find it crass.
I understand and would agree but i meant all the time to everyone like no one ever left third grade ... I've met people like that and I always wondered how they were allowed to roam free ...

Jan 27, 2020
I understand and would agree but i meant all the time to everyone like no one ever left third grade ... I've met people like that and I always wondered how they were allowed to roam free ...

Maybe their is a huge population that watched My Cousin Vinny one too many times then went off to breed...

• Haha
Reactions: Hillcrest

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Well my name on the birth certificate is Al.
And people screw it up all the time.
So joke ‘em if they can’t take a choke!
The ones that insist there has to be more to my name, I drop Alowishus Devadaner Ambercrobie. Thats short for mud.

but no one ever gets my Primus jokes!

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
Trapped in the root ball, Alabama
I stopped fighting that battle a long time ago. People screw my long name up, so I'm just rolling with the short version until I die I guess.

What irks me are the older millennials, X-ers, and (certain) boomers who get peeved when you call them "Mr. {LastName}" or "Sir". Dang it, I'm southern and I was raised with manners. If you are my elder, you are going to get hit with that until you tell me otherwise, and you're not allowed to get annoyed by it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Well my name on the birth certificate is Al.
And people screw it up all the time.
So joke ‘em if they can’t take a choke!
The ones that insist there has to be more to my name, I drop Alowishus Devadaner Ambercrobie. Thats short for mud.

but no one ever gets my Primus jokes!
Primus sucks! (for those not in the know, it's actually a Primus fan term of endearment). And I got the My Name is Mud reference before you dropped the Primus punchline.

Les Claypool is one of the most innovative bassists akin to Hendrix or Morello on guitar.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My name's only one syllable but I like it when friends call me "D". Chasing Embers is a name give by my tribal great grandmother for playing with fire as a child but being called Chasing or Embers here doesn't bother me.