PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Lmao first time I met my neighbor he introduced himself as david. The next day I said “hey Dave!” Come to find out he does not like Dave…..Dave also does not like to mow his lawn…I do not like Dave.

Why you worried about David's lawn? Can't you direct your judgemental glance in the next direction?

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
I grew up being named and called James by my family and everyone in my community and schools. After college at my first full time career job my first boss called me Jim and I choose to not make an issue of it since I wanted the job and career path potential it might provide very much. So everyone who knew me in my working career knew me as Jim. I did succeed with a full career with that company. I moved back to my childhood community I grew up in a few years before retiring and it was nice being called by my real name by everyone there. Moving forward in time and as frequency of contact with individuals grew less frequent, it has been a terrific memory aid to have a group of folks knowing me as James vs. those who know me as Jim. If I haven't seen someone in a long time and I am having difficulty remembering their name then if they call me Jim, I can quickly narrow the person down to persons I knew during my working career. If they call me James and I'm having difficulty remembering their name I can quickly narrow my recollection to persons whom I grew up with or since I've returned to the community. Either way, with the very distinct difference in the way they call out to me, I'm able to make the association of where in my life I knew the person. That enables me to acknowledge them, even if I don't immediately remember their name by conversing about work life or my early and current home life respectively until their name breaks through my initial brain fog of trying to remember their name. I wouldn't change the name calling experience, if I had to do it over.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Primus sucks! (for those not in the know, it's actually a Primus fan term of endearment). And I got the My Name is Mud reference before you dropped the Primus punchline.

Les Claypool is one of the most innovative bassists akin to Hendrix or Morello on guitar.
John the Fisherman was the first song I heard of his. Still top 3 for me. Immediately stopped at a music store and bought cd’s of all 3 albums they had recorded at the time and everyt since then. Caught them in 5 concerts. Hell of a show!
Anyways, at work (I’m the shop foreman in a multi brand dealership service departmen) I am usually called Boogie or Al Boogie. I’ve often got Parliment and Primus shuffling through the radio or phone coupled with my natural efficiency of movement got me the moniker. End of the day I really don’t give 2 shits what I’m called as long as the name on the check is right!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is what is referred to as a first world problem. I'm not even sure it rises to that level. I've learned, in situations like you described where you introduced yourself with your full proper name, to ask for clarification. "Do you prefer, Robert, Rob or Bob?" I've also seen many people who are particular about being addressed by the full property name to say "My name is Robert and that's how I prefer too be addressed."

IMHO, if this bothers you that much, you may be so uptight that you could swallow a nail and shit a screw. I'm just happy when someone addresses me by my last name only instead of calling me asshole. In general, only my closest friends call me asshole.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
My last name is Landau, some like actor Martin Landau pronounced or “Landow “ my family pronounce it “Lando”, my entire life i get a mix of pronunciations, if i feel like it i will correct someone the first time, if the correction doesn’t stick i don’t really give an eff it doesn’t affect my life at all, we have a sales guy that mispronounces it all the time and at this point i only correct him to needle him about it, it’s so common with hm that in the middle of a presales meeting (a sales cycle with 4 Adams) working with this client that he started to refer to us all by last name, even the client started correcting him and we all laughed. Seems there is a bigger issue here than names being shortened. I have to agree with what hoosierpipesucker said up there. I’ll just call ya all bro or dude. Problem solved, dudes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My first car dealer ship I worked at had the managers calling me a fucking diva after 3 months when I became their number one sales man. I blew their minds when I sold 7 cars on Washingtons Birthday and next closest was 3. It was my second week in the business and they were in shock. Then I became the diva coming and going as I pleased threatening them to take my 20 plus cars a month down the street, they had to put up with me. 'My record of delivering 38 cars in September 1986 still holds to this day at a very large dealer.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I always ask a new acquaintance how they prefer to be addressed. I personally don't give a shit, as long as you don't call me Johnson, but others are mighty particular about it.
"My name is Raymond J. Johnson Jr. Now you can call me Ray, or you can call me J, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me Junie, or you can call me Junior; now you can call me Ray J, or you can call me RJ, or you can call me RJJ, or you can call me RJJ Jr. . .but you doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
When they asked for the name to my order last night at Chick-fil-A I told the attendee Jazmine.

As he typed out the name, I said... "with a Z"

As my daughter rolled her eyes, he started to fix the mistake as I said... just kidding. It's spelled like it sounds. My wife apologized and explained I was mildly retarded.

We both smiled.
He then asked if I wanted a different name for the order, so I told him "Korti... with a K and an I." ?

#truestory

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I disagree that it is a matter of being a first world problem. If my travels have taught me anything, it is that people everywhere, of all stations and classes, wish to be taken seriously and shown respect; and that begins with the most personal of things, getting their name right. What’s in a name? If you have to ask or can’t be bothered to know then it says more about you than the person you are getting to know.

Jan 27, 2020
I disagree that it is a matter of being a first world problem. If my travels have taught me anything, it is that people everywhere, of all stations and classes, wish to be taken seriously and shown respect; and that begins with the most personal of things, getting their name right. What’s in a name? If you have to ask or can’t be bothered to know then it says more about you than the person you are getting to know.

That's a very good point... it's like assuming some rice farmer in Bangladesh doesn't have dreams outside of just feeding his family, even if the scales are tipped so far out of his favor than in a country with much more favorable economic conditions. I'm glad you pointed that out as it is a line of thinking I linger on from time to time, wondering what the dreams and desires are of people on the otherside of the world, and despite having very different lives and daily struggles, what we all have in common.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
My first car dealer ship I worked at had the managers calling me a fucking diva after 3 months when I became their number one sales man. I blew their minds when I sold 7 cars on Washingtons Birthday and next closest was 3. It was my second week in the business and they were in shock. Then I became the diva coming and going as I pleased threatening them to take my 20 plus cars a month down the street, they had to put up with me. 'My record of delivering 38 cars in September 1986 still holds to this day at a very large dealer.
Lovely story.?
Harris, are you aware your name is pronounced 'arris' in London & is also Cockney rhyming slang as in 'geezers talking out his arris' for example?
Arris is short for Aristotle which is slang for bottle, bottle & glass is slang for 'arse /ass'. Not that I'm suggesting you're up your own arris or even talking out of it, just thought you'd like to know. ?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Lovely story.?
Harris, are you aware your name is pronounced 'arris' in London & is also Cockney rhyming slang as in 'geezers talking out his arris' for example?
Arris is short for Aristotle which is slang for bottle, bottle & glass is slang for 'arse /ass'. Not that I'm suggesting you're up your own arris or even talking out of it, just thought you'd like to know. ?
I think we are all aware ?

Reactions: Meerly John