New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I disagree that it is a matter of being a first world problem. If my travels have taught me anything, it is that people everywhere, of all stations and classes, wish to be taken seriously and shown respect; and that begins with the most personal of things, getting their name right. What’s in a name? If you have to ask or can’t be bothered to know then it says more about you than the person you are getting to know.
I agree.

Some brothers in my fraternity washed dishes at a sorority down the street for a free meal and beer money. They called Kyle "Dishwasher Kyle" as though he were nothing more (yet a very smart gentleman and scholar ... seriously).

I found it distasteful. Being a shy introvert, Kyle never said a word. But you don't call a plumber "Crap cleaner John".

Names mean something. And while I shake it off, I still take notes.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I agree.

Some brothers in my fraternity washed dishes at a sorority down the street for a free meal and beer money. They called Kyle "Dishwasher Kyle" as though he were nothing more (yet a very smart gentleman and scholar ... seriously).

I found it distasteful. Being a shy introvert, Kyle never said a word. But you don't call a plumber "Crap cleaner John".

Names mean something. And while I shake it off, I still take notes.
There are those who would say to just shake it off. This is the tag line of the callous who find it easier to disregard the sanctity of those who appear to have less by ascribing to them lesser concerns or desires. I have never met a man or woman whose worries or thoughts were incongruent with my own. i have found that men and women everywhere want to feel as though they make a difference and that their lives have value. They want to believe that when they are gone that the people who loved them will feel that they are better for knowing them. They wish to be remembered and getting their name right is the least anyone can do.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I always ask a person's preference. When I lived in Norway and Costa Rica, they could not say the hard g in my name when shortened, so they just used my full name. However, if someone uses my full first name, I get a cagey look. When asked, I tell them that form of my name is usually only ever used in a court of law, thus why I prefer the truncated version.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
I always ask a person's preference. When I lived in Norway and Costa Rica, they could not say the hard g in my name when shortened, so they just used my full name. However, if someone uses my full first name, I get a cagey look. When asked, I tell them that form of my name is usually only ever used in a court of law, thus why I prefer the truncated version.
I’m confused. Is your name, Judge?

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
My last name is Landau, some like actor Martin Landau pronounced or “Landow “ my family pronounce it “Lando”, my entire life i get a mix of pronunciations, if i feel like it i will correct someone the first time, if the correction doesn’t stick i don’t really give an eff it doesn’t affect my life at all, we have a sales guy that mispronounces it all the time and at this point i only correct him to needle him about it, it’s so common with hm that in the middle of a presales meeting (a sales cycle with 4 Adams) working with this client that he started to refer to us all by last name, even the client started correcting him and we all laughed. Seems there is a bigger issue here than names being shortened. I have to agree with what hoosierpipesucker said up there. I’ll just call ya all bro or dude. Problem solved, dudes.
I like when people tell me how my family name would be pronounced in Italy. Thanks, Mr. Genius Man, do you realize your grandfather is the reason the pronunciation changed?

• Haha
Reactions: jpmcwjr and Brendan

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
You’d think you’d hate your last name “Back again i see, Mr Smith”. ?
The shit of it was that my dad was a lawyer and a lot of the judges worked under him as they were coming up in that field. So, he would sit next to me while I waited for my turn in front of the judge. I think he did it so the judge would have leniency, but also so he could see the judge tear me up one side and then down the other. He was big on life teaching me lessons.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Lovely story.?
Harris, are you aware your name is pronounced 'arris' in London & is also Cockney rhyming slang as in 'geezers talking out his arris' for example?
Arris is short for Aristotle which is slang for bottle, bottle & glass is slang for 'arse /ass'. Not that I'm suggesting you're up your own arris or even talking out of it, just thought you'd like to know. ?
Wow, didn't know that, thanks for the info. I forgot my sister used to call me Herschel or Heshy. The Heshy used was when she wanted something from me.

Reactions: simong